Copying/pasting the part(s)-1 & part(s)-2 - MR-8HD & possibly MR-16HD

keithos28

I have a MR-8HD and I am attempting to copy from track 1 and 2 [2 different parts of the track] and make them 'one' on track 3 and 4. In the manual 'Copying/pasting the part(s)-1' says you can copy the desired part(s) of the selected track(s) and paste it (them) to the same time position of the other desired track(s).
In the manual 'Copying/pasting the part(s)-2' - says I can copy the desired part(s) of the selected track(s) and paste it(them) to the OTHER TIME POSITION of the desired track(s).
Since I am copying two different parts of track 1 and 2 onto track 3 and 4; and since I am attempting to bring together [as one] two differents parts of track 1 and 2 on track 3 and 4;
What method of copying and pasting [as outlined in the manual] do I use? In other words do I use some of part(s)-1 for a certain part and some of part(s)-2 for the other copying/pasting ?
I am assuming that the MR-16HD has possibly the same instructions.
thanks
Keith

I think the second option will work for you. The MR16 has a virtual clipboard which can copy a section from a track (or track pair) and then paste it to another track/s. The examples shown assume a time shift but you can do any copying operation using the clipboard.( see P131 in the MR16 manual) I have the MR16 but assume the option is on the MR8 HD as well.
I suggest you do the copy in steps. You set Locate A at the start of the piece to be copied and Locate B at the end.
Copy to the clipboard.
Then set Locate A at the start of where you want the copy to go (on another set of tracks for example) and Paste to that location. Its a bit fiddly to understand at first but after a few goes it becomes obvious and you can "undo" the steps if you make a mistake as long as you "undo" directly before you carry out any other action.

Will do;..... will try it and see how it works. I suspected that the answer may be in the second option. It might be a little tricky as the Locate A and Locate B 'function' has to be used - both on the track(s) that I am copying from,.... and the track(s) I am copying to. When referring to the Copying/pasting the part(s) -2, the manual refers to the "part data being copied to the (virtual) clipboard" and then pasted tothe specified position of the other specified track(s). thanks...........

The Locate A and B just set flags to control the copy and paste. Once you have set the flags for the copy and copied the bit you want to paste, the flags can be reset for the paste operation anywhere you want.

Just an update {if anyone is interested}. : As Terfyn mentioned; the second option was what I used. "In the manual 'Copying/pasting the part(s)-2' - says I can copy the desired part(s) of the selected track(s) and paste it(them) to the OTHER TIME POSITION of the desired track(s)." So just to explain in more detail: The Vocal track was on Track one and the Guitar track was on Track 2. In the middle of both tracks there is a 'messed up' portion. I was able to copy the first part of each track (1 and 2) to track 3 and 4. The FIRST PART data being copied to the (virtual) clipboard" and then pasted tothe specified position of the other specified track(s) 3 and 4.
But the trickiest portion was yet to come. I was able to copy Part2 [of the Vocal track] by specifying a starting point and an ending point from which I was copying from, and eventually copied the vocal track of part 2 to track 3.
But when it came to Part2 of Track2 [guitar track] I messed up. Since this unit works on some sort of time shift one has to make sure you start in the same location on Track2 [like Track1]. I did not do this accurately and eventually after the copying was complete found that the guitar track was ever so slightly behind the vocal track after having copied to track 3 and 4. It took many undos but the only way I was I was able to get around it was make the second part of guitar track over myself on track 4. 'I feel like I cheated a bit !' Eventually the two parts came together without a hitch. What is the saying 'The end justifies the means' !!

So pleased you sorted it in the end. Nobody said that owning a Fostex was easy!!

I guess that, once you understand the thinking behind the design, life becomes easier. Until you think like the designers, life is just not worth living. And that owners manual is just a waste of space.

Back