Copy/Paste MIDI

BriamJH

I feel very embarrassed writing this. I have Reaper V7. When I try to copy a MIDI section e.g. 1 bar from bar 1 to repeat this in bar 3, the DAW creates a new track and copies the item to the new track. I cannot get it to copy to the track where I want it. This has never been a problem before now. HELP !! Thanks, Brian

I feel very embarrassed writing this. I have Reaper V7. When I try to copy a MIDI section e.g. 1 bar from bar 1 to repeat this in bar 3, the DAW creates a new track and copies the item to the new track. I cannot get it to copy to the track where I want it. This has never been a problem before now. HELP !! Thanks, Brian

You need to open up the Piano Roll, Select the Notes, then Paste it there. Or you could Select the MIDI Item from the Track, Hold Control if you're on PC and Drag it to Bar 3, which Copies it. I'm assuming that you're trying to Copy it, but it's basically just Copy/Pasting the Track itself, not the Item on the Track. Hope this helps. Or 3rd, if your MIDI Item is just Repeat/Loop, drag the Edge of it, and it should Repeat as long as it isn't longer than that 2 bars or whatever. You can Glue the Item if you want it to be only the 2 visible Bars.

I downloaded V6.79 today and tried to copy from one part of a MIDI track to another. It worked just fine. I think I will stick with the pre V7 version of Reaper for the time being. Thanks all, Brian

I tried to replicate your problem. I loaded a midifile into Reaper V7. I highlighted a section of midi on a track, ctrl and clicked and dragged it to the end of the track to where I wanted it to go, and it did just that. I also did 'copy selected area of tiem', then ctrl v to paste it where it need to go.

Yeah, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to just copy and paste MIDI items. It doesn't have to be complicated. You definitely don't HAVE to use the piano roll. I can't replicate your problem, either.

I don't use MIDI a lot. But I use it enough to be able to say that I copy and paste MIDI items regularly.

If version 7 is giving you headaches, don't use it, unless there's some really important feature you need that version 6 doesn't have. I'm sticking with version 6 for now, and maybe forever.

Back