Confusion with audio interface, dac, and amp

MetalHeadX343

I've been looking around on the web for 3 days now trying to figure this out and I can't seem to find an answer so I'm sure it's simple for someone who actually knows about home studios would be able to answer. My goal is to have a simple home studio with headphones, mic, daw, midi keyboard, and speakers. The issue I'm having is if I have an audio interface is there a need for dac+amp? I bought a pair of 600ohm headphones and to power them I ordered Magni3+Modi Uber from Schiit audio. Now I'm finding out I'll need an audio interface for my mic and I noticed I can just plug my headphones into the audio interface. I'm aware I could use less sensitive headphones with the audio interface like one with 250ohm, but it's a little late because I already have the headphones. I've read that keeping the headphones on a dedicated amp is the way to go, however I don't know if that means I can ditch the dac for the audio interface. I ordered the amp and dac from Schiit Audio about 2 weeks ago and they've yet to ship the items or charge me. So if someone could help out it would be highly appreciated because I cannot seem to figure out what part of the conversation I'm missing without being informed directly.

The interface will (more likely than not) have a DAC and at least some kind headphone amp and should work reasonably well in most cases. A separate headphone amp can be nice cause they're often a bit more powerful than those built into the interface, and if you ever want more than one pair of headphones plugged in at once they're almost essential. You neither need nor want another DAC, though.

The headphone amp is a bit "Audiophool" but the spec looks excellent and for $99 I would stay with it. One reason being that is seems to deliver decent power into even 600 Ohm phones. As Ashcat said, a spare H/P amp is never out of the way and many AIs have pretty feeble H/P amps so the extra welly will be useful.

Yes, you do need an interface and this is where it gets tricky! First off, there are no really BAD AIs around but you did use the 'M' word? MIDI. Not all AIs have DIN MIDI ports and since you seem to know what it is it would be daft IMHO to buy an interface sans MIDI ports.

Next you need to decide on the track count. AI specs can be misleading but at the $150 point you are going to get just two mic/line/high Z (guitar) inputs, two outputs and MIDI and for basic, 'one man band' track building that is all you need. E.g. Focusrite 2i4, Steinberg UR22
Up from that would be 2 mics/line.....again but with two extra line inputs (connect a synth or pre amp/mixer for more mics) giving you 4 track recording. N.B. That input count is not so useful without four outputs. Examples are the bigger F'rites and my fave, Native Instruments KA6.

After that things get to 8 tracks plus and obviously more expensive. THEN of course you need to decide/tell us what DAW recording software you have? Most AIs come with a very capably 'lite' copy of something like Cubase but DAWs are legion and a big subject all on their own. Like modern AIs tho' there are no 'bad' ones, just that some folks find some easier to use than others..All hard mind, at first!

Dave.

The headphone amp is a bit "Audiophool"
I didn't bother to google the things. Most of the times I've seen a standalone DAC, it has fallen into that category anyway, and I assumed the HA would be the same kind of thing.

Shitt makes good quality stuff. However t's designed for the music listener, not the home recordist. Is it needed for a home studio? No.
Your interface already has a DAC and a headphone amp built in.

Back