Clipped Peak Restoration Tool?

Jack Monroe

Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to use this tool to make a couple of places where my vocals clipped sound smoother and less-clipped?

I've identified where the clips are located.

Now, I realize nothing is going to make it sound perfect....but surely i can use this tool to make it sound a bit better.

So, how do I use the tool at all?

Please!

Thanks,

Jack

Zoom in on JUST the clipped sections and highlight them (zero crossing to zero crossing). Then apply the clipped peak tool. I usually set it to 1 dB reduction and hit it until it ain't square anymore. If used surgically, it does a decent job.

2 quick Q's:

1) what do you mean by "zero crossing to zero crossing". Obviously, I know how to highlight but please explain to me what this means...

2) what do you mean by "hit it until it ain't square anymore". Do you mean the shape of the soundwave?

Thanks again, man.

"Zero crossing" referes to where the wave form crosses the center line. All edits of any kind should be done this way to avoid audible noise. Otherwise, you'll hear a pop or click where you've made an edit.
Also I should point out that while it's a decent tool, if you have severe clipping, it won't fix it. It'll lower the level but it'll still be square and maybe audible. Still, it can do a pretty good job if used properly.

Back