Clicks in playback but not in recording via adat

TIUNON80

Hello, I'm having a problem with clicks in playback mode and not in recording mode.l also have this problem also when I just open antelope orion control panel without open daw. My master unit is antelope orion studio synergy and I connected a focusrite Scarlett 18i20 1st gen to it via adat. I configured Scarlett sync on adat and sample rate to 48khz. I also configured antelope on 48khz. How come am I having this weird problem only in playback mode? Thanks.

I don’t Get what you mean by on playback? Which are you using for your DAW? I’d assume the posh one via either usb or thunderbolt? So why are you connecting the focusrite? Presumably you have more inputs going into that and then that goes to the posh one via the light pipe? . When you playback, which interface is connected to the speakers for monitoring? I’m really lost. Can you do a diagram so we can work out your rather unusual combination

I have many mics connected to antelope and one mic connected to scarlett...I'm having this problem even without daw but also in antelope control panel. As payback I mean when I play drums and I listen it in real time in headphones. My headphones and speakers are connected to antelope.

OK - so mics into Antelope, headphones connected to Antelope and you hear clicks in the monitor feed that are NOT being sent to the DAW. That sounds sadly like a fault - the data stream that is going to the monitor section is not being decoded properly - the duplicate data stream to the DAW is? I suppose the next thing to try is to use the DAW to return the input to the antelope - that works normally, I'm assuming? The click free recording in the DAW replays fine on the antelope?

If this is the case, and you can monitor click free this way, at least it's usable - but also, faulty. I cannot think of any way that the internal stream would click and the one going to the DAW and back doesn't, other than a fault, because there are no actual adjustments you have accerss to in that monitor function. I'd check at the different sample rates and bit depths it can manage and see if the clicks are always there.

So - this is sent to the scarlett, and squirted down the ADAT into the antelope? Track Rat may be onto something - the antelope may be drifting out of lock - do you have a facility to tell it to use the ADAT input as master, maybe the ADAT and the Antelope are both free running. This though, would not be click free at the DAW?

I have a 18i8 Gen 1, and two 18i8 Gen 3 interfaces.
I just cannot get my Behringer ADA8000 adat unit to work properly with any of the Focusrite kit, without getting clicks.
After raising the issue with Focusrite, they say oh, yeah, yeah, it works fine now... but it doesn't.
The Behringer works fine with other kit I have - because they both have master/slave clock facilities.
Focusrite decided not to provide master/slave clock, because they say they can generate it from the adat signal, withut a special connector.
But their scheme doesn't work.
I have abandoned Focusrite adat, and may well abandon Focusrite altogether.
I am currently using SSL Big Six as an interface, and may buy a second, for my drum room.
Also have thoughts for a more comprehensive system still.

So - this is sent to the scarlett, and squirted down the ADAT into the antelope? Track Rat may be onto something - the antelope may be drifting out of lock - do you have a facility to tell it to use the ADAT input as master, maybe the ADAT and the Antelope are both free running. This though, would not be click free at the DAW?
I'm using an antelope edge duo mic on Scarlett and it takes 2 mic inputs. I configured sample rate to 48khz and world clock on ADAT on Scarlett and on Orion I configured world clock on USB.

I'm using an antelope edge duo mic on Scarlett and it takes 2 mic inputs. I configured sample rate to 48khz and world clock on ADAT on Scarlett and on Orion I configured world clock on USB.
It is called 'Word Clock' not world clock.
It is supposed to work like this:
Assuming both devices can recieve and transmit ADAT data. You connect the ADAT out from device A to the ADAT in on device B.
Then there would be a 'word clock' connector on each device. Connect these together.
You now need to set one of the devices to be 'master', and the other device to be 'slave'.
The 'master' device transmits a word clock signal to the 'slave', so that they can both be in synch.

The 18i20 (both gen2 and gen3) does have a word clock connector, which they label 'word clock out'.
This implies that the 18i20 could only be a master.
I just looked at the orion review in SoundOnSound. It does not have a word clock connector. So the two devices cannot run on the same ADAT word clock
signal no matter what you do.
You are going to be just as buggered as I am, and suffer the out of sync clicks.

Back