Chord/Note Analyzer? How?

J

jokerone

Is there anyway in Cubase to take a .wav file and analyze it to find out which chord / note is being played?

If not, is it possible using a computer and not having a music professor listening to it? :D

thanks.

The note part is easy, just use a tuner plug.

The chord part, not so easy, but Melodyne can break down a chord into notes and you'll see what they are.

I don't know what features and functions Cubase has, but if it doesn't have a FFT frequency analysis function then you can use a VST plugin such as Voxengo SPAN to find the dominant frequencies in the sound. (I'm not saying that's the best plugin to use for this; it was just the first one that came up when I searched for "free vst plugin to do fft frequency analysis.")

The problem is, a single note can (and often does) have more than one prominent frequency, depending on the timbre of the instrument-- or the shape of the sound wave being used if the instrument happens to be a synthesizer-- so you can't always tell from a frequency analysis whether the sound was created by playing a single note or two notes, three notes, etc.

I don't know what features and functions Cubase has, but if it doesn't have a FFT frequency analysis function then you can use a VST plugin such as Voxengo SPAN to find the dominant frequencies in the sound. (I'm not saying that's the best plugin to use for this; it was just the first one that came up when I searched for "free vst plugin to do fft frequency analysis.")

The problem is, a single note can (and often does) have more than one prominent frequency, depending on the timbre of the instrument-- or the shape of the sound wave being used if the instrument happens to be a synthesizer-- so you can't always tell from a frequency analysis whether the sound was created by playing a single note or two notes, three notes, etc.

ok, thanks I'll give it a try. Its only about 6 notes I'm trying to pound out. But I would rather be writing music than trying to analyze it if I can help it. :D

---------- Update ----------

The note part is easy, just use a tuner plug.

The chord part, not so easy, but Melodyne can break down a chord into notes and you'll see what they are.

Thanks Chili!

Back