Cher -- resilient heroine or overrated idol

I didn't have a problem with her use of Autotune as an robotic effect. That's an artistic decision, like when Status Quo used flanging on Pictures of Matchstick Men, or Tommy James used heavy tremolo on Crimson and Clover.

The lady can flat out sing. It's the wanna-be singers that have to autotune everything so they don't sound like crap that gives it a bad rap.

Per an interview I saw Cher originally didn't want to record "If I Could Turn Back Time", apparently the song didn't resonate with her. Diane Warren the songwriter - one of the most prolific American pop songwriters - convinced her to do it and it became one of her biggest hits.

she knew how to hold a tune for sure
She did. I've long felt that she is overrated. Someone got a bit upset with me when I said that once. I didn't mean that she was rubbish or couldn't sing, quite the opposite, in fact. I just felt that personally, for the amount of column inches she had accrued over 7 decades, I didn't think her voice or her songs warranted that amount of rating. I still feel that. Only a fish called Wanda would argue that she can't actually sing and sing well.
How do you feel about banjitars?
I have one. I love it. I bought it specifically so I didn't have to start learning to play the banjo at 57.
he tuned EVERYTHING like a guitar, so the only thing that changed was the sound. Fingering technique was always the same.
Key, for me. I like the sonic properties of each instrument. I couldn't care less about the actual technique required to produce the sounds. When I'm listening to a song, if I'm digging the sax or the piano or the organ or the harmonica or whatever it may be, it's the sound first, the player a long way behind in 3rd. Second is how the sonics add to, complement the overall song. The technique doesn't even register on my scale.
While I did use to own and dig a piano, clavinet, organ and electric piano, having them as VSTIs has not made a great difference though if I had the space, I'd have them again. But the sonics of each is sufficiently different to cause me to have to approach the dummy keyboard differently depending on the instrument. Similarly, I have guitars and a mandolin, but the importance of the banjo for me outweighs whether I'm going to buy a 5-stringer and learn how to play it. I was actually going to when I decided to get a banjo. But the moment I came across the 6-string tuned like the guitar in my research, it was a done deal, a no-brainer, a fait accompli. It is, after all, still a banjo and I'm interested in its sound, not in being able to master an instrument.

Back