cant get sound in reaper please help

boogiewoogie1

Hi all,

I am using an onyx blackjack into a macbook.

I have selected the onyx as my audio device in preferences. I have armed the track. turning input monitoring on/off seems to make no difference. I can hear the audio through my headphones connected to the onyx blackjack. when I select input on the track - i have tried all the options available - is there supposed to be one specific to my blackjack there? The sound levels aren't registering anything coming in. It cant be the dials on the onyx blackjack - I have tried all options there...

I have used this setup before years ago but cant exactly remember..

I cant think of anything else... please help

Thanks in advance

The Onyx has 2 inputs, are you selecting the correct one as the input on the track in Reaper? On the input drop-down, you should have the option for either as mono, or both as stereo.

Hi all,

I am using an onyx blackjack into a macbook.

I have selected the onyx as my audio device in preferences. I have armed the track. turning input monitoring on/off seems to make no difference. I can hear the audio through my headphones connected to the onyx blackjack. when I select input on the track - i have tried all the options available - is there supposed to be one specific to my blackjack there? The sound levels aren't registering anything coming in. It cant be the dials on the onyx blackjack - I have tried all options there...
I cant think of anything else... please help
What kind of speakers to you attached? How do you have the input set on Reaper? Do you have to arm the track first?

What kind of speakers to you attached? How do you have the input set on Reaper? Do you have to arm the track first?
So I have tried all the inputs I can on via the track inputs options. None let any sound through onto reaper. I am listening through my headphones through the microphone jack on the onyx blackjack which I can hear everything fine. Yes track is armed.

The Onyx has 2 inputs, are you selecting the correct one as the input on the track in Reaper? On the input drop-down, you should have the option for either as mono, or both as stereo.
Hi,

Yes I have tried all the input options to no avail. Neither force mono or force stereo seem to make a difference..

So I have tried all the inputs I can on via the track inputs options. None let any sound through onto reaper. I am listening through my headphones through the microphone jack on the onyx blackjack which I can hear everything fine. Yes track is armed.
Where when you listen to the Track are the headphones plugged in to? Where do you plug your. headphones in?

A thought:

Since you do get sound in the headphones, the issue is probably not with REAPER, I wonder about the selection of output device in the Audio portion of Audio/MIDI Setup. Be sure that the output device there matches the REAPER audio device preference. Also-- I'm assuming USB connection for the Onyx-- you may need to power cycle the Onyx after the proper preferences are set. My USB interface is sometimes "lost" from USB and the power cycle can fix it.

Hi,

Yes I have tried all the input options to no avail. Neither force mono or force stereo seem to make a difference..
Not sure what you mean by 'force' mono or 'force' stereo ....

Is the Onyx showing as a connected audio device in your computer settings? Selected as the input device in Reaper preferences?

Is the Onyx showing as a connected audio device in your computer settings? Selected as the input device in Reaper preferences

Is the Onyx showing as a connected audio device in your computer settings? Selected as the input device in Reaper preferences?

“Force mono” or “force stereo” are options given from inputs. Onyx blackjack is selected as the audio device in preferences

Can you do some screen shots? - show the preferences auio input screen, and your screen where you are you choosing the armed track and input choices.

The onyx blackjack microphone jack. I can hear what I’m playing and if I load another track on reaper I can hear that well.
Assume you mean you have the headphones plugged into the HEADPHONE jack, not a mic jack!

Can you do some screen shots? - show the preferences auio input screen, and your screen where you are you choosing the armed track and input choices.

Assume you mean you have the headphones plugged into the HEADPHONE jack, not a mic jack!

here are screenshots and yes definitely headphones jack... haha

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.04.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.04.08 pm.png
    552.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.02.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.02.35 pm.png
    655.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi,

This is interesting,

Onyx wasn't set for for input or output in "Audio/MIDI Setup", i have set it but i cannot effect the master or other volume bars when selected for output and or input. what is power cycle can you please explain this step by step.

Thanks

pic attached
A thought:

Since you do get sound in the headphones, the issue is probably not with REAPER, I wonder about the selection of output device in the Audio portion of Audio/MIDI Setup. Be sure that the output device there matches the REAPER audio device preference. Also-- I'm assuming USB connection for the Onyx-- you may need to power cycle the Onyx after the proper preferences are set. My USB interface is sometimes "lost" from USB and the power cycle can fix it.i,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.18.10 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.18.10 pm.png
    770.8 KB · Views: 6
Have you tried selecting this setting, this is my default:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-10 084702.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-10 084702.png
    19 KB · Views: 5
Expand your track so you can see what your actual input is on the track... that Record Input isn't it... there is another spot to select your Input Channel... there should also be a place in Reaper under your Devices that shows you or allows you to select and make sure you are using ALL the Inputs/Outputs of your Device... make sure you can see ALL your Inputs... also are you using an Instrument Cable or a Mic? Perhaps you're using a Condenser Mic that requires Phantom Power?

Back