Can you use an IPad for recording audiobooks?

Sitler

I know there was an old thread but just getting started and was wondering if this would work and how many GB should iPad have? Would a mini work or would you need a bigger iPad? Thanks for your help.

I know there was an old thread but just getting started and was wondering if this would work and how many GB should iPad have? Would a mini work or would you need a bigger iPad? Thanks for your help.

I don't have any "iThings" but I don't see why not? The pad will really mostly be a storage medium and you don't need that much ram to hold quite a lot of speech and base sampling rates and in an uncompressed format. In even the best MP3 (320kbps) MUCH less and in any case it is wise to dump tracks off onto a stick, both to keep the device clear and as backup.

You need some recording software called a "DAW" but I think you will have Garage Band? You also need to 'interface' the microphone* with the iPad and that could be as simple as one of the better USB mics. Better and more flexible is a separate mic and Audio Interface.

*You were NOT thinking of using the internal mic...were you?!!

Dave.

I don't have any "iThings" but I don't see why not? The pad will really mostly be a storage medium and you don't need that much ram to hold quite a lot of speech and base sampling rates and in an uncompressed format. In even the best MP3 (320kbps) MUCH less and in any case it is wise to dump tracks off onto a stick, both to keep the device clear and as backup.

You need some recording software called a "DAW" but I think you will have Garage Band? You also need to 'interface' the microphone* with the iPad and that could be as simple as one of the better USB mics. Better and more flexible is a separate mic and Audio Interface.

*You were NOT thinking of using the internal mic...were you?!!

Dave.

Thanks Dave...no I was not going to use internal mic. How does the interface hook into iPad? Thanks again.

Thanks Dave...no I was not going to use internal mic. How does the interface hook into iPad? Thanks again.

Via USB and I guess a 'Camera Adapter'? I am sure the Apple Happy peeps with be along shortly. I have tell you, to record even 'decent' quality speech (aka "Voice Overs" sometimes "VOX) the hard and software is often the easy part of the exercise!

Dave.

As far as I know any class-compliant USB audio interface will work with modern iPads and a lightning to USB adapter.
Manufacturers usually state if their interfaces are class compliant, or the fact that no drivers are needed/provided is a good indicator,
but have a google before buying anything to make sure other people are successfully using X interface with your model iPad.

As far as I know any class-compliant USB audio interface will work with modern iPads and a lightning to USB adapter.
Manufacturers usually state if their interfaces are class compliant, or the fact that no drivers are needed/provided is a good indicator,
but have a google before buying anything to make sure other people are successfully using X interface with your model iPad.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate.

---------- Update ----------

Thanks again Dave...looking forward to the harvest.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate.

---------- Update ----------

Thanks again Dave...looking forward to the harvest.

I 'THINK' it is easier to use interfaces that can be powered separately from a wall rat as against 'bus' power? In any case smart phone battery life is bad enough as it is!

Dave.

Sitler,
Recording the audio is just the start. Are you planning to do your editing on the iPAD? I cannot imagine trying to edit them on an iPAD. You may want to consider a laptop or PC, for the tedious work of editing.

Not trying to shoot down your idea.... just sharing some experience and points to consider.
Dale

Back