Can I use 2 Tascam 16x08 to record 10 Channels Simultaneously?

You should be able to run 8 mics into the 16x08, and 3 mics into the 4x4, then use the 3 line-outs from the 4x4 to 3 of the line-ins of the 16x08.
Okay so I followed you right up til you said “3 line outs …” lol
Newb-Alert! 🙄
Any way you could elaborate on how to get the 4 xlrs I’ve got in my 04x04 to my 16x08 & still get some sort of control for what’s going out the line outs??

So grateful for your help- thanks thanks again!
Steph

Hi Steph. I think your problem is that you are trying to use two USB interfaces on a Windows computer? You can but not with ASIO drivers. WASAPI or MME should allow both AIs to work but, they will not be 'sync'ed' i.e. they will drift apart over time and probably won't even start recording bang on the same mark by a milliSec or so.

But, this does not matter because you just ignore the 4x4 as a USB recording device and feed the outputs to the 16 08 as Mike B suggests. That assumes the 4x4 does NOT have a 'stand alone' capability, i.e. that it will act as a pre amp without a USB connection. Some AIs will but most do not.

Also, I 'think' the 16 08 has ADAT ports? If so, when funds permit you could get a Behringer ADA8200 and have 8 more mic inputs. Many 'pros' use the Berry but keep the fact a bit quiet!

Note: ASIO is used to get the best,lowest latency but this does not matter for 'tracking' only when over dubbing or playing software instruments. Do however make sure Windows is set up to use the Tascam and turn off 'system sounds' those annoying bleeps and doings.

Dave.

You should be able to run 8 mics into the 16x08, and 3 mics into the 4x4, then use the 3 line-outs from the 4x4 to 3 of the line-ins of the 16x08.
Also The guy from Tascam said that if I ran any more than two line outs from the 4 x 4 everything going to get squished down into mono tracks…?
Gonna try ASIO 4 ALL 1st!
Steph 🙏

Also The guy from Tascam said that if I ran any more than two line outs from the 4 x 4 everything going to get squished down into mono tracks…?
Gonna try ASIO 4 ALL 1st!
Steph 🙏
By all means try it but I doubt it will lock two USB interfaces together. Nothing will get "squished" to mono. The 4x4 is just acting as a 4 channel preamp giving 4 discrete outputs. So long as you setup 12 mono tracks in your DAW you will record 12 mono tracks and you can then mix them down to stereo as you feel fit.

Dave.

The 16x8 does not have adat input. The 4x4 'should' work as a standalone preamp as stated. Just use the line out for each channel to input to 11/12 -13/14.

It's not the best, but you can use inputs 9/10 for dynamic mics. Just need a xlr to 1/4" cable or adapter. I used to use them for hh and ride when I first started recording my drums a decade ago...

Oh and forget about ASIO4all. Stick with the Tascam driver for the 16x8.

The back of the 4x4 has 1/4" line outs - 1 for each output channel, in the Tascam software, you will be able to route it for input 1> output 1, etc. Just look up a youtube on it!

Jimmys, I looked up the 16-08, I was wrong, no ADAT but yes, it can work as a pre amp.

Dave.

According to the manual, the 4x4 will operate in standalone mode, just like a 16x08. Inputs should be routed directly to the outputs when NOT CONNECTED to a computer via USB. There's not a lot of info, but it's on page 15 of the manual. Hence, you have the opportunity to have 12 channels at one time, which should cover your needs. The outputs are balanced, which should go into channels 11-16. You'll want to set the 16x08 level at +4dBu,

Outputs (LINE OUT (BALANCED))
US-4x4 : LINE OUT 1-4
Connectors : 6.3mm (1/4") standard TRS stereo jacks (Tip: HOT, Ring: COLD, Sleeve: GND)
Output impedance : 110 Ω
Rated output level : +4 dBu (1.273 Vrms)
Maximum output level : +20 dBu (7.75 Vrms)

According to the manual, the 4x4 will operate in standalone mode, just like a 16x08. Inputs should be routed directly to the outputs when NOT CONNECTED to a computer via USB. There's not a lot of info, but it's on page 15 of the manual. Hence, you have the opportunity to have 12 channels at one time, which should cover your needs. The outputs are balanced, which should go into channels 11-16. You'll want to set the 16x08 level at +4dBu,

Outputs (LINE OUT (BALANCED))
US-4x4 : LINE OUT 1-4
Connectors : 6.3mm (1/4") standard TRS stereo jacks (Tip: HOT, Ring: COLD, Sleeve: GND)
Output impedance : 110 Ω
Rated output level : +4 dBu (1.273 Vrms)
Maximum output level : +20 dBu (7.75 Vrms)
Good info Rich'. OP might need to setup the 4x4 whilst connected to PC but then run stand alone. I had an M-Audio Fast track pro years ago like that.

Dave.

My old 16/08 tascam was absolutely dreadful, latency wise on anything other than the proper tascam driver. It works, but it's impossible to play properly with such a delay - I tried a new computer and that was the same. Tascam driver was about 7ms and asio4all was something like 80?

The current 16x08 driver (v4) has been rock solid for me. Everything is integrated, no more separate driver and setup file.

ASIO4ALL was total garbage when I tried it.

Okay wow - the ASIO4all is trash!
I’m trying the input output thing but I’m wondering what to set the monitor to on the 4x4 so I can actually hear it! I’m running my headphone amp out of the computer - should I run it from the 16x08?

Thank you guys so so so much for your help I’ve gone from completely hopeless in despondent to having at least a little hope that I might make this work because I spent all of my stimulus money on these two things 😬
I’m grateful for this forum SO much!!
I’ll be back to this thread to update!!! Sounds like I’m not the only one that’s had this problem 😉
- Possum

This isn't exactly what you asked but if I were in your shoes I would use 8 channels with 5 on the drums then use the overhead mics to trigger samples for the missing tom hits. You could probably just paste them in; tom hits on those mics would probably be rare anyway.

I’m using Cubase 11 Pro for my #1. I have a download code for ProTools too plus there’s trusty old Audacity as a backup - there’s also GarageBand but idk if it will work on a PC, do you?

I wish I had just spent the xtra $ on the ADAT light pipe pres but no one from Sweetwater or the computer place told me that they even existed let alone that I would need them!!! Here’s the bottom line, I need to plug in 11 mics at once (8 in the 16x08, 3 in the 4x4) but I need the 9 & 10 line-ins on the 16x08 for my Yamaha ead10 drum module (I use a hybrid kit) plus 1 more on the 4x4 for D/I bass as I track with a bassist live w cans 🎧 … I am concerned about this one thing with using the line ins/outs and that’s the fact that I’ll need to be able to augment or edit or whatever else on all 11 mic ins in POST! I love built-in comp/limiters but I need to tweak individual tracks and that’s a dealbreaker.

If I can do that while sending the 4 line outs on the 4x4 to 4 of the line ins on the 16x08 and end up with 11 individual mono tracks (plus the other ones but I’m not worried about those) then I’m set!

Sorry for being long-winded and thank you so much to everyone who has helped me out with this, I know this question is been worded clumsily but yeah, if I can record 11 tracks simultaneously of drums without The line outs from the 4 x 4 being combined somehow with other tracks then I’m set! Lmk if that’s even possible?

Thx in advance - Possum

So yeah - I’ll try routing the 4 outs on the 4x4 into 4 ins on the 16x08 and pray that I’ll be able to use the 9 & 10 for my stereo out on my Yamaha electronic module…

So yeah - I’ll try routing the 4 outs on the 4x4 into 4 ins on the 16x08 and pray that I’ll be able to use the 9 & 10 for my stereo out on my Yamaha electronic module…
You should be all good man. Do you have any of this hooked up yet?

Test it real quick!
Power up the 16x8 and the 4x4. Don't even plug the usb cables in yet. On the front of the 4x4, put both switches to the left. Monitor Balance full counter clock-Line Out 1/2 at 12-oclock. Plug in a mic to input 1 of the 4x4. Take the line out 1 from the 4x4 to inst in 9 on the 16x8. Does the 16x8 show input signal? Now hook line out 2 from the 4x4 to the inst in 10 on the 16x8 without changing anything else. There should be no signal there. Now plug in the mic to input 2 on the 4x4. You should now have input on inst 10. If so then you are good to kick some ass bro!

There should be no reason why the 4x4 would 'combine' any of the input signals. That wouldn't make any sense. Absolute worst case scenario-it could be connected to a separate computer and use its 'Settings Panel' to set in/outputs correctly. It is likely just going to work without doing anything.

inputs 9/10 will definitely work for your Yammy.

You have a few guys (including myself) on the forum here that have been using Cubase for over a decade, so when you have questions, we will be here to help ya.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I am with Jim here. I suspect you are over thinking this setup? Just run the 16-08 as normal with the ASIO drivers and think of the 4x4 as a 4 channel mic pre amp. IMHO don't confuse yourself with DAWs other than Cubase. I am a dyed in the wool Samplitude guy but have used Cubase in the past and it would be my next best choice. And, at the risk of creating yet more confusion, don't forget you still have 16 MIDI channels to use! Assuming that is that your kbd has MIDI ports?

You say you are a bit of an "electronics newb"? JUST in case you are worried, you can do NO harm plugging ins and outs as you want, just keep monitoring levels at minimum and advance slowly to catch any nasty hums or possible feedback.

Dave.

I’m using Cubase 11 Pro for my #1. I have a download code for ProTools too plus there’s trusty old Audacity as a backup - there’s also GarageBand but idk if it will work on a PC, do you?

I wish I had just spent the xtra $ on the ADAT light pipe pres but no one from Sweetwater or the computer place told me that they even existed let alone that I would need them!!! Here’s the bottom line, I need to plug in 11 mics at once (8 in the 16x08, 3 in the 4x4) but I need the 9 & 10 line-ins on the 16x08 for my Yamaha ead10 drum module (I use a hybrid kit) plus 1 more on the 4x4 for D/I bass as I track with a bassist live w cans 🎧 … I am concerned about this one thing with using the line ins/outs and that’s the fact that I’ll need to be able to augment or edit or whatever else on all 11 mic ins in POST! I love built-in comp/limiters but I need to tweak individual tracks and that’s a dealbreaker.

If I can do that while sending the 4 line outs on the 4x4 to 4 of the line ins on the 16x08 and end up with 11 individual mono tracks (plus the other ones but I’m not worried about those) then I’m set!

Sorry for being long-winded and thank you so much to everyone who has helped me out with this, I know this question is been worded clumsily but yeah, if I can record 11 tracks simultaneously of drums without The line outs from the 4 x 4 being combined somehow with other tracks then I’m set! Lmk if that’s even possible?

Thx in advance - Possum
Yay Cubase!

Sweetwater didn't steer you wrong. You would have to spend a bunch more for an interface with ADAT in's. Plus another unit with preamps/ADAT out to utilize them.

Your setup with the 4x4 will be:

Input 1 switched to 'inst in' for bass - unless you are using a direct box.
Input 2 switched to mic/line for drum mic
Input 3 and 4 drum mics

You will have 14 individual tracks sent to Cubase that can be manipulated as you wish.

Last edited:
Back