Can I Achieve 24bit/96kHz Recording

oxymoron1629

I've been scratching my head about this for a good while now and can't seem to come to a definite answer (although I think I have an idea). I'm hoping someone here can set the record straight.

I'm very interested in getting the MXL 770 as microphone I'm going to be using for primarily podcast recording. Now, from what I can tell, the cheapest solution to an audio interface with phantom power that has an USB out is the Behringer Xenyx Q502USB USB Audio Mixer. The only problem for me is that is can only put out 16bit/48kHz recording.

My whole reason for avoiding USB mics is because I would like the ability to upgrade in the future. So to get an audio interface that would limit me now seems to not jive with my whole game plan.

Now here's where my question comes in: I currently have an Aune T1 that can handle 24bit/96kHz recording with an RCA input (I think). My question is can I instead get the slightly nicer Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium that has no USB out and run from that RCA cables out into my Aune T1 to be able to record at 24bit/96kHz?

I tried to make myself as clear as I could. Basically, I want to use the Behringer Xenyx 802 as the Microphone interface and than record using my Aune T1 to get a 24bit/96kHz recording. Would this set up be less than ideal? Should I just stick with the Behringer Xenyx Q502USB and deal with 16bit/48kHz sound? Am I missing something? Or should I really just bite the bullet and get a better audio interface that can do 24bit/96kHz recordings?

Thanks for any help.

My biggest concern is that running the RCA cables out of the audio interface and into Aune T1 will lead to some signal degradation. Is this fear warranted?

The Aune t1 is a DAC right? That's for playback. Dont you need an ADC to record ?

I think if you want to do things right you need to buy an interface. There are many that work great and are pretty inexpensive.

96khz for podcasting?

That's like wanting to install an 800hp engine in a VW to commute on a road that has a 35mph speed limit....

First of all, that silly thing with a tube in it is only a playback device...and a silly one at that. It won't record anything, it isn't a recording interface.

Second, 24/96 is overkill for 98% of all home recording applications and is a waste of time, money and hard drive space.

16bit/ 44.1k is just fine for podcasting. It's been fine for CD delivery for the last 35 years, it will be fine for streaming a compressed data stream from the web.

If you really want to get better quality, don't bother with half-assed, cobbled together stuff you have laying around. Get an interface that does everything you want, plus some stuff you may not need until a future date. That way, you can grow into it without growing out of it instantly, and end up spending the money on the thing you should have bought in the first place.

There are plenty of interfaces at a low price point that will be just fine.

I think the thing that was throwing me off is that in my Recoding Devices in Windows showed the Aune T1 with the option for 24bit recording.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the 96kHz recording. What I was primarily after was the higher resolution 24bit recording so that I could edit the recording with less distortion. I was also interested in recording at a lower volume so that I wouldn't have to crank the gain as high and get unnecessary noice. From what I understand, this is accomplished better with high resolution recording.

I only mentioned the 96kHz because I sorta assumed that if you get 24bit, you will probably get an accompanying 96kHz .

I gonna go with the unanimous agreement of getting a decent audio interface.

That aside, I'm still curious: if I did have an interface that had no digital out and ran RCA cables out from it into an ADC, would there be any difference if I just had an interface that included an onboard ADC?

You shouldn't be getting distortion at 16 it.

24 bit does allow you to record at a lower level without worrying about the digital nois floor, but it really shouldn't keep you from being able to record very good sounding tracks. Every CD you have ever heard is 16 bit. Any album digitally recorded much before the year 2000 was recorded at 16 bit.

16 bit isn't a death sentence, and you are just doing speech that will be streamed from the internet at extremely low resolution. 16 bit shouldn't be a problem for you.

That aside, I'm still curious: if I did have an interface that had no digital out and ran RCA cables out from it into an ADC, would there be any difference if I just had an interface that included an onboard ADC?

Just buy an interface, you are not going to save anything piecing things together. The most economical thing to do is pick up an interface.

Uhh...a quick bit of googling shows the t1 ~does~ have audio in ports. Am I missing something here? :p

Back