Can anyone help me with volume automation options?

Nothing in front of the input.

Except like tube screamers and OD's , Wah wah's , some modulations, or Compressor pedals.

Once you get everything working right, it all comes together.

Last edited:
I have a friend who does this routinely. We both use cubase and we send stuff to each other to work on. He is a guitarist, i might get 100 guitar tracks, each little twangy bit on a new track. A three minute track with two seconds of guitar. Many even have their own eq for that short bit. I just cannot work with that many tracks, so my first job is to find the ones with the same eq and effects and move them to one new track ‘guitar with fx1’. Then i do the same on the others. 100 guitar tracks down to maybe ten? I can work with that. He also has hundreds of plugins active. For me, i hate hearing something and not being able to see it. Scrolling down through so many tracks is awful. Volume matching is then also way, way easier and no automatic levelling needed.
Why on Earth would someone do that? (I mean your friend the guitar player.)

I really dont know. Perhaps its because they never used tape? Zooming out, my way of working is very much like the tracks on a tape. If i record at the start of the song, then the middle and the end, i always join up the three clips into one track. My friend would have one track for each recording, so his guitar tracks might easily be thirty or forty!

I really dont know. Perhaps its because they never used tape? Zooming out, my way of working is very much like the tracks on a tape. If i record at the start of the song, then the middle and the end, i always join up the three clips into one track. My friend would have one track for each recording, so his guitar tracks might easily be thirty or forty!
I've never used tape, and I do have fragments of guitars sometimes, but never is there more than ten guitar tracks (and that's a lot to me) in one song. Many, many little pieces of tracks, whether guitar or voice or whatever, just really gets out of hand and out of control very easily. I've rarely had songs with more than 45 tracks, and that's including AUX sends--there's usually ten of those--and busses. There's usually 6 or so busses. While I've never used tape, there's something to be said for the old ways, where one was limited to 16 or 24 tracks. I try to keep things down track-wise, because I know it leads to massive aggravation at the end.

Back