Bush cassette tape machine mics experiment.

kip4

While looking for other stuff in the loft I found a pair of old tape machine mics. They have to be from the old bush cassette machine as I dont recall anyone of the other tape machines having mics that I owned.
I plugged it in the interface and nearly had to crank the gain to get a signal at all.
Switched to high z input mode and bang much better with the gain at 9pm.
Id like to experiment with them for a couple of hours and run some signal through them to see what they will shine with and what sounds awful.
Any suggestion on what I should record , how, also interested If you have tried this or similar experiments.
Thanks guy and gals.

I've tried all kinds of mics in the past. Cheap cassette machine dynamic mics were never very impressive unless you like Lofi vocals or tinny guitars. A much better alternative would be one of the internal condenser mics from a cassette recorder. These can be amazingly good and I used to regularly use one for drum overheads when I was starting out.

I've tried all kinds of mics in the past. Cheap cassette machine dynamic mics were never very impressive unless you like Lofi vocals or tinny guitars. A much better alternative would be one of the internal condenser mics from a cassette recorder. These can be amazingly good and I used to regularly use one for drum overheads when I was starting out.
The two built-in mics on my DP-03SD Porta Studio ain't bad at all. Just awkward to use as they're in a fixed position. Difficult to mount the Porta on a mic stand :drunk:

Remember the Bush original brand was elderly, and they were never a quality manufacturer, but a purely domestic one. Their mics were basic and probably the ones they used in their early reel to reel experiments. Is the cassette the c440? It was supplied with two mics and desk stands like another they had. These were made in Japan, the source of cheap electronics back then. The original OEM source. Not known for their quality. I have an old book from 74 with two different models in there

Attachments

• A48E09EA-46AD-4447-80B1-3BF83D953518.jpeg
    A48E09EA-46AD-4447-80B1-3BF83D953518.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 5500F7E0-CD3E-4B8B-B684-2D3B95BCFB82.jpeg
    5500F7E0-CD3E-4B8B-B684-2D3B95BCFB82.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Thanks for the input guys. I’m not holding out hope these will be a go to for most things however I remain optimistic that they will do at least one job well. My mind says they’ll be fine on some percussion instruments…… Who knows.
I’ll can’t seem to locate the little stands. Hmm more loft searching?
I’ve taken this pic for you mic guys.

Just as an aside I also own an old crystal mic. Its beauty is only marred by its tinny performance. But it’s a great desk paperweight On a short desktop mic stand. It’s a Kent model almost all original. I changed 3 things. The plug was swapped for a 1/4 Jack and I swapped out the crumbling O rings on the mount. See below.
thanks again guys.

Btw Rob it was a similar shaped model to the C430 you showed but was a brushed aluminium finish on some parts and had view meters.
James I’m not short of alternative mics to choose from, it’s a suck it see if it sucks kind deal.

oddly enough my fave go to mic that’s always on a stand these days is a Joe meek given to me by former forumite Henry Moreau, He bought it sold as spares or repair and donated it to me when he decided he might be busy front of house desk gigging to do the job.
Turns out when opened it look like it had had some fizzy drink spilled on it.
Couldnt find anything else wrong with it, Carefully cleaned mucky diaphragm and bosh Bobs you uncle.
I wish Henry was still here and on the forum. I miss our chats.

Attachments

• C5F62B05-8929-4C47-A306-397CCA94F8D5.jpeg
    C5F62B05-8929-4C47-A306-397CCA94F8D5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 8F71045C-B062-47E5-9D63-E8748F66D0A0.jpeg
    8F71045C-B062-47E5-9D63-E8748F66D0A0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
In the 50s, my dad had a Wilcox-Gay tape deck. A few years ago, I tried the mic, but there was zero output. I opened it up to see if I could troubleshoot it. The microphone was a salt crystal type and the crystal had completely disintegrated.

I've got a couple of other old microphones, and their performance is always subpar. Not being into the grunge sound, I just stick with the new stuff. The results are much better. Old cheap microphones aren't in the same league as an old U47 or RCA 44!

In the 50s, my dad had a Wilcox-Gay tape deck. A few years ago, I tried the mic, but there was zero output. I opened it up to see if I could troubleshoot it. The microphone was a salt crystal type and the crystal had completely disintegrated.

I've got a couple of other old microphones, and their performance is always subpar. Not being into the grunge sound, I just stick with the new stuff. The results are much better. Old cheap microphones aren't in the same league as an old U47 or RCA 44!
Right on Rich. My audio experience goes back to the 60s/70s and reading The Tape Recorder, later to become Studio Sound. Many of the contributors were either BBC techs or free lance and worked for the TV and radio industry. The mantra to those struggling to get decent recordings was always "Buy a good microphone". The mic pres in old machines such as Ferrograph and Revox (I wished then!) were noisy (valves) by modern standards but, tape noise being what it was, quiet enough. I remember such microphones as the Grampian DP4, THE 'reporter's mic' and the Reslo RB ribbons as seen in The Cavern!

The same principle applied to cassette machines. Silicon transistors made for quieter front ends and the cheap dynamic mics were wound for a 600 Ohm impedance and hence more level than say a modern SM58. With the tape noise the combination just about worked for close speech!

Dave.

I've got a DP4, brand new sitting in the office still in it's cardboard wrapping! Omni too!
Have you got the connector for it Rob? One of a kind. No bloody good in its box! I hope the VC has not corroded open circuit. I had a nice wee Geloso lavalier mic that did that. Got to be 50 years old mind! 16 Ohms impedance but that did not matter with transformers with 1:60 step ups to valves.

Dave.

Very interesting Rob. I would say that the vent was there to ensure the diaphragm did not get displace with changes in air pressure? Much to small to be of any use for directional matters.

The same principle applies to certain sealed box loudspeakers, they need a tiny 'leak' to stabilize the cone. Most speakers use paper cones and these are not quite totally airtight but Aluminium and plastic cones are.

Dave.

Back