Broken Mic?

skull-wart

Hi, I think I've broken my sm57 by accidentally having the gain *WAY* too high. Now the volume peaks on low frequencies and drops out on high frequencies. I've recorded an example of this and uploaded it to sound cloud. Quick replies would be helpful - I'd just like to know if this does look like a fault in the mic or something else entirely?

Cheers - Oscar

Which gain?
Amp or mic preamp?

That recording does sound like something's gone super wrong, but it'd take a hell of a lot to overload and damage a 57. :P

Switch everything up. Try a different XLR cable, different mic, different input, clean recording session with no effects etc.

You can't break a mic by having the gain too high (unless you're using it as a speaker). It sounds like a loose wire on one phase that just happens to randomly connect properly. Either that or the coil got physically warped somehow (hot car?) and is hanging against some part of the inside of the capsule.

Check the cable, and if that isn't the problem, check the wires inside the mic itself to see if one of them is loose—particularly the wires right at the connector.

Hi! Thanks for the posts, sorry for the long reply.

I found out what was wrong with that today whilst trying to figure some other things. On Cubase the plugin for the Line 6 Pod UX2 has two knobs for input and output, which I was tweaking to see if I could get a better tone. So cubase saved the plugin settings each time I twisted the knob and hence the volume was fading in and out rapidly. I fixed it by just removing all of the amp modelling and resetting the plugin :thumbs up:

Hope that helped someone!

Is there a way to change the title? I'd like to change it to Line 6 Pod UX2: Problems Recording Sm57 in Cubase [Fixed]

Or something along those lines, maybe a mod could help me out with that one if I can't do it on here?

Is there a way to change the title? I'd like to change it to Line 6 Pod UX2: Problems Recording Sm57 in Cubase [Fixed]

Or something along those lines, maybe a mod could help me out with that one if I can't do it on here?

Hi.
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for letting us know.
Unfortunately you can only change the title for a limited period, but maybe a mod will sort it out.

Back