BR600 not compatible with Windows 10

Kenny202

Pulled out my old Boss BR600, previously used it on an older Macbook. Recently got a new Windows 10 machine and it appears it is not compatible? Did a few google searches but just found a whole lot of people asking the same question with seemingly no solution. Anyone here know if there is a workaround or a driver I can download?

I know about DAW and interfaces etc but I am into very basic recording and the BR600 does a great job for me.

Are you trying to use the BR600 just to access the files? You should be able to just buy a multi-card reader with a compact flash slot to transfer the files. Make sure you get one with WIn10 drivers. My ancient RCA reader isn't supported in WIn10, but the one built into my old Dell worked the the last time I used it (about 4 months ago).

I will have a look at that. Not even sure if something like that would be available anymore and not sure what format the files are in on the card or even if the card will be readable off Windows. Reader wont be expensive to buy on line. I might go and check it out. its the only reason I hook it up to my computer is to download the wave files. If I can get them off the card problem solved. You mean drivers for the card or the reader not compatible? As far as I know the reader is only an adaptor

Just looking at one exactly the same now. I am living in Thailand and we have our own sort of Amazon lol. Will order and see how it goes. Only about $15 so not the end of the world if it doesn't

I see you can buy adaptors to so you can put an SD card into a CF compact flash body. Maybe another solution too

Response from Roland was thus.....
Thanks for contacting us. Due to the age of the product, the BR-600 is sadly not compatible with Windows 10 and there's not a workaround to allow compatibility unfortunately. An earlier version such as Windows 7 will need to be used.

I have ordered a Card reader that will read a CF Compact flash card. Only cheap so worth a try. Not even sure the card will be in a format the computer can read. Worth a try. For now I will keep downloading to my old Mac

Yes, you need to 'mix/master' your songs down to stereo WAV files, then you can transfer those from the SD card to your computer. The tracks are in a proprietary format, and Boss had computer software to convert those (when transferred). If you want the individual tracks, you would need to 'mix/master' each one separately to WAV on the SD card.

Yes, you need to 'mix/master' your songs down to stereo WAV files, then you can transfer those from the SD card to your computer. The tracks are in a proprietary format, and Boss had computer software to convert those (when transferred). If you want the individual tracks, you would need to 'mix/master' each one separately to WAV on the SD card.
Not sure if you can convert into a wave file onboard. I think it converts to wave when you export the tracks. Maybe be a flaw in my plan to get files directly off the CF card if they are not wave. I did download that software which is compatible with Windows 10 but not sure if it converts from Boss format to wave file? I will have a look. Are you sure you can convert wave files on the actual unit, without exporting?

Not sure if you can convert into a wave file onboard. I think it converts to wave when you export the tracks. Maybe be a flaw in my plan to get files directly off the CF card if they are not wave. I did download that software which is compatible with Windows 10 but not sure if it converts from Boss format to wave file? I will have a look. Are you sure you can convert wave files on the actual unit, without exporting?
'Exporting' is what they call converting to WAV - it's still on the SD card.

'Exporting' is what they call converting to WAV - it's still on the SD card.
Its a Compact flash card actually and I have an email from Roland saying the files on the card are Bro format, Rolands own file system. They are converted to Wave during the export process. I may be able to use their wav converter program to convert the files off the CF card in a card reader direct to my computer, but just not sure if the format of the CF card will be readable by my computer. Not terribly worried about it anymore. I bought a Zoom R8 this morning. I needed an Audio interface anyway and the R8 was about the same price as an audio interface with so much more. Has phantom power inputs, plug and play into the PC. Just hope I can sell the BR600. Shame in all respects apart from connecting to Windows it is excellent

I also have an AW16G which doesn't have USB. I had some band practices on there that I wanted to transfer to my DAW, but the overall project was larger than a CD. I ended up exporting each track (about 400MB) to a CDRW, then dumped each to the computer. That worked fine. I ended up mixing down at least a half dozen songs to share with the other guys in the band. The tracks were about 12 years old, so it was a real treat to hear.

There's always a way to skin that cat. At the worst, you still have the Mac.

Back