BMI or ASCAP?...

BMI doesn't charge...ASCAP does....and I've never heard a bad word about BMI....gibs

Well, from what I hear, it is easier to join BMI. They require less to be a writer and publisher member (note: you will have to join as a writer first and then publisher if your aim is to only publish your own work.) As far as benefits, I vote for ASCAP. I'm not really sure what BMI offers, but ASCAP discounts are cool - Guitar Center discount, a music supply co. that is local for me also offers a discount to ASCAP members. Also, went to my first ASCAP member meeting last year- they treat you right - very nice din din, open bar, etc.

Overall, I picked ASCAP because they were the first PRO around and kind of have a kick ass attitude. They really strive to make sure they collect every damn cent that is owed to their writers and publishers, but I think they keep a bigger % than does BMI.

I would suggest writing/calling both and have them send you a writer membership application package (they include literature that says why they are better than the other, etc.) Compare the two and go with what feels right to you.

Brad

I just want to double what gibs said - I too, have never heard a bad word about BMI. Plus they are kind of the "David" to ASCAP's once "Goliath" presence in the PRO (performing rights org.) world.
If I had it to do over again, I would've looked into BMI a little more.

Brad

Can't do it camn.

If you are a real publishing co. you can have two seperate publishers in each society (names have to differ though) but in the case of publishing your own work or "being your own publisher" you have to be a writer member of a society, and only one- BMI, ASCAP or SESAC. It would be cheating if you belonged to more than one - you'd get paid twice for every one performance - that is why it isn't allowed.

Brad

Back