Blue Reactor $150 today 1/18

I bought a pair of them. I was tempted to buy a third one the other day for a Decca Tree setup but, I controlled my GAS long enough to realize that I need to save up for the orchestra first.

I haven't used them on any committed recordings but I have auditioned one and I like the way each pattern has its own noticeable character. It's one of those mics that will make even inexpensive preamps sound good (or at least better). I have the feeling that I'll lose a few hours of scratch time when I hook it up to my BG-1.

No filter but, so far, the lack of a pad is not as grave an issue as I thought it would be---something about the way the circuitry seem to handle louder signals.

Not a "throw it up" mic---blunt-weapon class heft.

One of the reasons I found it initially attractive was the set of noise specs, which are approaching as good as it gets and make the "stupid deal" type prices a real bargain. I don't know of another three-pattern mic that has noise specs like the Reactor and can be had (occasionally) for $200 or under.

I'm happy with the purchase and still consider myself lucky that I was able to get them at $200 each. I'll start using them this summer.

Paj
8^)

Back