Blue ember Microphone - and a Rode NT-1A for comparison

rob aylestone

On an old youtube video, I got a comment about the Blue Ember microphone - I've got one, so did a video. Sadly, despite being a 2nd hand one in perfect nick - it's isn't any longer. I've rather spoiled it!

Last edited:
I was just catching up on your videos, and gave this one a listen. My first thought was "wow, that Blue Ember is noisy!". I wasn't even listening to the video on headphones, which usually really gives it away, I was upstairs in the bedroom with the audio going through my Vandersteen speakers.

Tonally, the Blue wasn't bad. The NT1A is a bit brighter, which is characteristic of that mic. I prefer the sound of the NT1 over the 1A myself. But at the same time, you can do a bit of hi-shelf EQ to drop the top end a few dB and tame the 1A, with the added bonus of dropping noise a touch further.

As for the resonance, that was really noticeable. Something is really ringing like a bell on the A note. Did you ever figure out what was causing it?

Oddly, no. I tried to replicate it on another recording and failed. I did try a room sweep with a tone in case it was something else randomly vibrating, but the only nasties I could make ring were some very low ones at loud volume from the scaffolding the lights are on.

Back