Blue Cat Re-Guitar

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I've been wanting to check this out for a while now so this morning I downloaded their DEMO. I wanted to see if something like this would give me some good Humbucking sounds from my SSS Strat. It don't, IMO. Not for rhythm playing, anyway - maybe leads could draw it out but I don't do those well enough. For me, it's not worth the $99.. $29 maybe because it does have some nice sounds other than Humbucking. It also appears to have a strong MIDI section for switching through presets - which I don't want any part of.

I'll keep fiddling with it, ya never know where you can wind up with these things.

I've been wanting to check this out for a while now so this morning I downloaded their DEMO. I wanted to see if something like this would give me some good Humbucking sounds
I like the option to demo free. Listen to it in your real environment. The Electric Kool-Aid test, for sure.
it's not worth the $99..
The time to buy is usually around ThanXGivin. That is a long time to wait from now.
. It also appears to have a strong MIDI section for switching through presets - which I don't want any part of.
Midi , is the complex direction stringed instruments were going. That should get absolutely amazing humbucker sounds. An accurate tracking midi pickup system should be available for your particular musical melody manipulator. Then you can plug the 'midi out' signal into a synth module to make the fantastic happen. Midi bass is awesome, the bass tone becomes easily repeatable no matter where you play. 16 bit beauty.
I'll keep fiddling with it, ya never know where you can wind up with these things.
Keep your launch codes secret..

Where is the knob at? Knob at 8-9(subtracting only -1.5 to 2) and you are muffling up, the tapper of the knob is too aggressive. Or you could lighten up the cap value to .015mf or so..

Rikki don't lose that number

Here's a sloppy loop with the straight Strat, then four of the basic Humbuckers. The SSS Strat is DI to Interface with no amp sim.
Not included in the .mp3 are the Ricky; Rails; Bright; Wide Jazz; Jazz Box Humbuckers.

0:00 - 0:31 Straight Strat SSS Neck Pickup

0:31 - 1:07 Vintage Humbucker

1:07 - 2:02 Classic Humbucker

2:02 - 3:07 Modern Humbucker

3:07 - 4:02 Wide Humbucker

Attachments

• Blue Cat Re-Guitar Test.mp3
    3.7 MB
I have it and I think the sounds I get are not useable for anything but practice. I was able to download it for free a few months ago but I don't recall where I got it.

Strat is DI to Interface with no amp sim.
Here is what I got. Line6 guitar preset 11c 'NowhereMan' , Bass preset 2b California metal? nEzdrummer Big 70's something somethin...Brainworx limiter in a few places and a Fabfilter pro EQ.

Yours sounds more real.

Attachments

• febBo.mp3
    2.2 MB
Last edited:
This guy does a fair job of demonstrating. Definitely better results with picked notes over strumming, though with the right amp sim you can get some good Humbucking rhythm tones for thrashing, crunching and banging your head. High gain and distortion amps sound pretty good but are not my style.

I'm going to play around more with the E-Custom settings which appear to get you into just the right zone much quicker.

Last edited:
cut the front off. tis gone now..

anyhow, I wanted the bass on the right . the guitar on the left . and drums in the middle. I panned solos at 66% before they went wonky..

Here is what I got. Line6 guitar preset 11c 'NowhereMan' , Bass preset 2b California metal? nEzdrummer Big 70's something somethin...Brainworx limiter in a few places and a Fabfilter pro EQ.

. . .
What guitar and pickup styles have you got going there? All single-coils? Which pickup(s) are selected on the guitar?

I'm getting bass on the left, drums and guitar up the middle.

What guitar and pickup styles have you got going there? All single-coils? Which pickup(s) are selected on the guitar?
Rails.

StratOcaster with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails set. The neck pickup. Volume on 9. (i have option for tone on all)Tone 7.

I recorded the preset on a track, then applied effects after I freeze the tracks to stems.

Limiter used in all positions. Set so the lights move. All tracks and main. (that could be incorrect)

Fabfilter EQ , used to LPF HPF the track.

No. I made my run before I found this guy's demo video. I used Reaper as the DEMO's host.

I used my Fender Classic Series '50s Strat with SSS pickup configuration direct into the Tascam US-2x2 (non HR) interface, then into Reaper. No processing other than the Blue Cat Re-Guitar plugin standalone demo. Neck pickup only, volume at 10, tone around 5+ .

In the Blue Cat, I selected my guitar's single coil in the FROM column and Blue Cat's single coil in the TO column, then I selected the single vintage pickup in the PICKUP MODEL column, then I calibrated the Strat's single coil to the Blue Cat's Single Vintage single coil, matching the tone and output as close as I could (Strat tone was set at 10 for calibration, then reduced to 5+ for recording).

Then I went back and selected Humbucker in the TO column and Classic Humbucker in the PICKUP MODEL column, hit record in Reaper and played for 5 minutes.

No signal processing anywhere, just as straight and clean as I could get it. The Humbucker I selected while recording the track was not printed, just there for my headphone monitoring while tracking.

I went back into Reaper and chopped the track into 5 sections assigning a Blue Cat FX to each of the last 4 and leaving the first section as the dry Strat's single coil neck pickup. I assigned a different Blue Cat Humbucker to each of the last 4 sections and that was that. I didn't tweak any knobs, I just used the default settings.

Last edited:
Back