Best snake for Mackie 1202 VLZ?

stefaniw527

Searching our forums did not turn up anything. There are a ton of snakes out there to choose from, but I'm hoping that 1202 VLZ owners have already figured out what is the best snake for running live sound (PA, monitors, and rack) with this board, and making the most of the both the mixer's inputs/outputs and the snakes connections.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
People don't often use 1202s with snakes. There might not be an off the shelf solution that makes the most of the mixed inputs of the little Mackies. Maybe consider getting a snake that would interface with a bigger mixer. Then if you upgrade or need to borrow something bigger you've got the extra capacity in the snake.

True. With only 4 mic inputs, it's almost aways just a few vocal mics ran from the stage. Snakes would come into play when you have more like 16 or so inputs and you're putting the whole band through the PA and you have a sound man.

I am putting the whole band, an acoustic trio (three-part vocal harmony, 2 acoustic guitars, acoustic bass), through the PA, monitors, effects. Some gigs pay good enough to have ears out front. Would it matter if my mixer in question were a 1402? I am OK getting a bigger snake, what I'm more interested in the mains/mons sends, and the 1/4" inputs from our acoustic guitars.

Thanks all. I'm edumacated on the topic now from the Mackie.com forum. Unless some other newbie needs more info, this thread is dead.

Thanks all. I'm edumacated on the topic now from the Mackie.com forum. Unless some other newbie needs more info, this thread is dead.

Hopefully that edumacation included using only balanced connection over long distances. You will want to put any unbalanced 1/4" instrument through a DI to run it down the snake, and then it will be XLR. With only 4 or 6 XLR inputs on the board you will run out fast. You could convert some of those XLRs to TRS at the board end, but those line inputs might not have the gain needed for some mics.

In my way of thinking a 1202 is a 4-channel board with some extra utility inputs. It's okay for a duo or trio mixed from stage. The 6-channel 1402 gets you up to a quartet (without drums) if some players can use the line inputs. Add drums and you need a bigger board.

Back