Best mic for female vocals under $700

themess

Hey everyone,

I'm a complete dropkick when it comes to recording as I'm only just hoping to start! Want a microphone predominantly for vocals however I'm also planning on using for guitar and piano. Planning on buying a pair (or single, depending how much dosh I pump into the vocal mic) of AT-4041SP or rode nt5 for instruments. Looked at at4050, neumann tlm 107, rode k2, at4047/SV, ev RE20, the new rode Nt1, se2200a, mxlv69 and blue baby bottle. But like I said, complete flog and a bit overwhelmed by all the choices!

There are clips of me singing on youtube if it helps for recommending which mic is best suited to me, but unfortunately I'm new to the site and can't post links. If you type 'Shivaun Testa' into youtube though then some videos should show up :)

Cheers,
Shiv

Yeah, 4047's are great for female voices because its not a shrill mic, which you run into the problem with female vocalists sometimes.

a lot of my friends have told me that I should only look at multi pattern mics, which was the only thing I found looking at this one. But you would probably know better, reckon it doesnt matter if I'm mainly just using it for one singer?

Multi-pattern mics are more versatile. To be honest....I rarely use any pattern other than cardoid. My only multi-pattern mics are my NT2-a's, for about a year I recorded vocals on them in omni. Since then, always cardoid. My Fathead II is figure-8, which is fine, but I wish it was cardoid if I had that option.

Figure 8 is cool if you're miking up two singers for backup vocals, but they would be in the same track.....

This one isn't multi-pattern....but I think for your voice it will sound great.

The guy is taking offers and he will ship to Australia (isn't that your location?)....and it's already below your price range even if you bought it at asking price, but I would certainly make him an offer around $450-$475....and then you'll need to work out the extra shipping to AU.

Anyway....after listening to your YT clips, I think this type of FET-based mic will be a nice compliment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADK-Vienna-...Microphones&hash=item41794def99#ht_524wt_1053

Oh....you might open up your voice a bit more. You have a nice tone, but you seem to be holding back at times, almost like you're clenching your teeth when you sing.
I think you have a lot more voice than you're showing in the videos...so let it rip. ;)

Last edited:
Do like the look of this one, but my mate is offloading an akg c414b xls and said he'd give me a good deal. Thank you for the vocal advice though! I know what you mean, sometimes my jaw starts hurting when I sing for too long so clenching my teeth is pretty spot on.

Back