Bedroom Studio Desk Ideas; Tables?

I have a studio in my bedroom that I use aside from working in my main studio building. I am searching for a desk or solid-wood table that could give me enough space for my general gear that I use at home, including my M1 Mac mini, computer monitor, Yamaha HS7 monitors (on IsoAcoustics ISO-155 stands), Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface, and hopefully my Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2. I've seen guys like Jacob Collier using what seems to be a home-made looking wooden table/desk for their studio. I recently tried ordering a pretty basic wooden dining table from Wayfair, but it came cracked, so I figured I'd reach out here and see if anyone knows any good solid-wood tables and/or desks that are from reputable brands and come in a length somewhere in the range of 50" to 60". I've also attached a picture of Jacob Collier's desk as an example of the simplicity/sturdiness I'm looking for.

Attachments

• jacob-collier-studio-hero@2000x1500.jpg
    jacob-collier-studio-hero@2000x1500.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 17
Try looking at IKEA, if that's an option. Both of my desks have come from there. Neither are still available (the newest must be 20 years old) but everything we've gotten from them has lasted forever.

I have a studio in my bedroom that I use aside from working in my main studio building. I am searching for a desk or solid-wood table that could give me enough space for my general gear that I use at home, including my M1 Mac mini, computer monitor, Yamaha HS7 monitors (on IsoAcoustics ISO-155 stands), Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface, and hopefully my Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2. I've seen guys like Jacob Collier using what seems to be a home-made looking wooden table/desk for their studio. I recently tried ordering a pretty basic wooden dining table from Wayfair, but it came cracked, so I figured I'd reach out here and see if anyone knows any good solid-wood tables and/or desks that are from reputable brands and come in a length somewhere in the range of 50" to 60". I've also attached a picture of Jacob Collier's desk as an example of the simplicity/sturdiness I'm looking for.
From what I see in the photo aside from a similarity of looking a little like Jim Carey...maybe it's the smile and stature... :) It looks like you are willing and able to get a saw and work with wood...that's good because you can make a nice custom desk to fit you exact needs and modify anytime you want.

I also am not afraid to "make stuff" as such I end up at Home Depot A LOT and a few weeks back as I was walking out they had the work benches below.. Frickin rock solid and at under $300 an adjustable table with locking wheels not a bad place to start your build. If you go with something pre made you are held to how they designed it ...or you have to modify it. I have a home made set up right now..no wheels but it works just fine...but I'd like it to have wheels and a nicer looking set up...If all goes as I would like, I will be doing a remodel of my music workspace soon and I will probably incorporate the 62" one below as the starting point for my desk....

1673360135451.png

Husky...I can't help my self......what can I say. Though I don't drink or generally hang out in bars, over my life I've known a lot of people who hang out at bars where they tell these dumb ass jokes. I seem to have a good memory for these sick jokes and when I hear the key word they just pop up and out of my mouth they come.... I feel dirty...

I once knew a guy who went to go work on the Alaskan pipeline. He was a skinny little fart when he went up there but man when he came back he was a Husky fucker....Oh shit did I really just tell that horrible joke? Yes I did... Bad Tomco :laughings:

I don’t think the person in the pic is the OP.
Unless the op likes to refer to himself in the third person.

But @TAE damn fine post anyway ;)

Reactions: TAE
I have pressed into service a Z-stand. The one I had spare is fixed width and height, but Roland do a variable width variable height one which would be good, around £80.
You just need to make a top.

I had purchased an interior house door (hollow) along with some cinder blocks for legs. The door is 80-inches but I changed my mind on the room I was going to set up my studio in and this was just too long for where it needed to be. Shame... would'a made a terrific studio table. It's now a project table in the next room. I suppose you could buy a shorter, solid door and put some type of legs under it, but you're probably looking for a more finished, manufactured look.

I moved my fairly large monitors to stands and have a standing table (basically a wide desk). Got it early in the pandemic at Office Max/Depot, they're probably more now than the $175 I paid but it's holding up well. I like being able to stand playing guitar while tracking. Having a bad back this helps working at home (non-music) and during long music sessions.

Attachments

• 20211001_184122.jpg
    20211001_184122.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Buy a 4'x8' smooth birch veneer 3/4" plywood at Home Depot or Lowes, cut it to the exact size you need. They sell the table legs there in a variety of styles that screw into a metal plate that is screwed into the slab bottom. If you want a pull-out keyboard drawer, those can be purchased at Staples or online.

Anything can work but just make sure it's big enough to hold your gear plus other stuff. I like Jacob's home made desk but I think it's small because he has a small space? Even in a bedroom I would try to make it bigger because I like room for a couple sets of head phones, guitar picks, coffee cup, pad of paper, etc, etc. You get the idea.

Back