Audacity, importing, and sound quality loss?

grh

Quick question. When you import a wav file into audacity, and see audacity make the audacity wave for the wav file, is any sound quality lost during this process?

I don't quite know what you mean? re: the Audacity make the Audacity wave for the .wav file - but if you bring a digital file into Audacity then save it again - it's a duplicate of the original so sounds as transparent as your audio to digital - digital to audio hardware.

Last edited:
I don't quite know what you mean? re: the Audacity make the Audacity wave for the .wav file - but if you bring a digital file into Audacity then save it again - it's a duplicate of the original so sounds as transparent as your audio to digital - digital to audio hardware.

I am talking about importing a wav file on my pc into audacity. You import then wait a second or two, and see how your wav file looks in audacity with the wave forms audacity generated. It sounds like your saying the wav file should sound identical after being imported into audacity.

Of course - that's the point of digital audio. I can bring audio into my DAW in Audacity, Adobe Audition, Cubase and Sound Forge. They all process audio differently, but the sound quality is exactly the same. I'd never choose one over the other on anything quality wise - just for what they can do to manipulate the audio. Oddly, the one thing that is slightly different is the visual waveform - they all display them slightly differently - but that's of no consequence.

Oddly, the one thing that is slightly different is the visual waveform - they all display them slightly differently - but that's of no consequence.

^^ That is important. What you see on on the screen is not the waveform. It is a representation of the waveform, and how DAWs draw these waveforms will vary.

The audio software seems to all be similar but in adobe premiere while the peaks and troughs line up what happens to the middle bit seems quite random. The peaks and troughs are very useful but a middle level audio track seems very flat?

Back