Article : Phantom Artists

I guess that’s why I use CDBaby, feels a little better. Not that anyone in their right mind would want any of my work 😁

Since my experience with Distrokid - where I lost huge amounts of money, I'm sticking pretty much everything I'm producing out there, just in case - and wierdly, even this gets played in bizarre places. The good thing is that shazam identifies them as mine, and even at $0.002 a stream or less. I'm making regular money. Lots of my stuff is actually written for people to use on videos - not wonderful cinematic stuff, but in-house training for people who make washing machines etc - and I keep the rights, they just use it. Most of the aggregators charge about fifty quid ish, a year for unlimited releases. I think it's actually worth that kind of money, because if somebody covered your song it would get flagged. A re-arrangement might not, but an out and out steal certainly would. In fact, if they just released your recording and did well, you'd get the money, not them.

An old bandmate sent me this today. I found it very interesting as well as pertinent. I often wonder if any of my posted music has been pirated in such a way.

If they had Copyrighted their music then it would of been just a matter of a letter to whomever is allowing the music to post.

Back