ARGH Latency using PC and Reason ASIO4ALL installed. Why????

NathanC

Hi,
I am trying to record some guitar straight into my PC using a 3.5mm 1/8"Male to 6.5mm 1/4" Female Audio Adapter, running Reaper (not reason my mistake) to do the recordings, I've installed Asio4all and turned the samples RIIIIGHT down and even with it set like that it still has unusable and noticable latency when trying to play. My laptop is a reasonable old gaming laptop so it should have plenty of power. Is the latency likely caused by the crappy adapter? And if I got some kind of recording interface like one of the focusrite scarlet thingys would that help??? So frustrating, I cannot figure out why the latency is so bad. Is there a cheaper option than the focusrite avenue?

Attachments

• 1pcs-Gold-3-5mm-1-8-Male-to-6-5mm-1-4-Female-Audio-Adapter-Converter.jpg
    1pcs-Gold-3-5mm-1-8-Male-to-6-5mm-1-4-Female-Audio-Adapter-Converter.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-USB-Recording-Audio-Interface-0.jpg
    Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-USB-Recording-Audio-Interface-0.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Latency is mostly due to your soundcard, it is not meant for recording. Latency can also be attributed to whatever plugs you are placing on the record track. For example, if you are using a guitar sim plug, it might be causing latency.

Yes, the 2i2 will help A LOT. It has ASIO drivers that report latency values to your DAW to help with aligning the recorded tracks. The drivers are fast and you can see very little latency depending, again, on what plugs you are using. Last time I checked with mine, I was getting less than 10ms. Barely noticeable.

To eliminate all latency, you should use the Direct Monitor function. With this, you will be listening to the guitar as it is coming into the interface. If you are plugging in directly, like with no amps or stomp boxes, you will only hear the guitar itself.

Are there cheaper options, maybe. The 2i2 is a pretty good price for what you get.

How do I find\use this Direct Monitor function?
At the moment I am just putting the guitar straight into the input on my laptop using the adapter.

Sorry, I wasn't so clear about that.... The Direct Monitor thing is on the 2i2. You're not going to get it with the soundcard in your computer. Gotta buy an audio interface designed for recording.

Also make sure you have the proper interface/driver selected in Reaper. IE: (insert audio device here)ASIO4ALL not (insert audio device here)MME and so on. It seems obvious, but I can't name how many times I've forgoten to arm a track and recorded nothing.

The direct monitoring is a feature that audio interfaces meant for recording have. The mic input on your laptop insn't designed to deal with recording, it is meant to handle skype calls and such.

Once you get an interface that is designed to do what you are doing, latency will be less of a problem. But like he said above, the direct monitoring will only let you hear the sound of whatever you plug in. If that is an electric guitar, you will hear the sound of the guitar without any distortion or effects, unless you are plugged into physical stomp boxes or other outboard gear.

Back