Are rack tone modules going away?

J

jokerone

It seems that 20 years ago companies would always sell you a tone module that dovetailed with the same model synth/workstation they were selling.

lately it seems they have stopped this or am I all wet?

thanks

As long as VSTi is where the money is, that's probably where manufacturers will focus their development efforts. The goal of corporations is to minimize costs and maximize profits. Software is as close to nothing as consumers are willing to pay for.

As long as VSTi is where the money is, that's probably where manufacturers will focus their development efforts. The goal of corporations is to minimize costs and maximize profits. Software is as close to nothing as consumers are willing to pay for.

I assumed that VSTs would eat in to tone hardware sales. However companies like Yamaha have had a new line of worksation for years but haven't offered a new tone module for that line. Granted Stienberg is owned by Yamaha. I'm wondering if they believe that tone modules are eating into their workstation sales?

Tone modules require electrical engineering in addition to software engineering. That adds to the cost. Why build a whole electronic device to do something a general-purpose computer can do?

I'm not convinced they can. And of course, you are assuming that these sound sources are for recording only - there are those of us who prefer a rack of modules for live performing. Furthermore, there is something very powerful in the hands-on immediacy of a workstation.

I too have noticed there are few modules offered anymore. I'm sure software applications have impacted that significantly. Since newer keyboards offer so many more sounds, multiple on board processors, keyboard splits, multi timbral options, etc. - it is now much more possible to cover everything with one or two keyboards (even for live performance) - so numerous keys and/or modules are no longer "needed".

I own a lot of modules, all of which are older (I think a Roland XV5050 may be my "newest" module (and that is already several years old). I prefer modules to software (I still use hardware processing vs. in the box - and I still mix on a 32 channel analog mixer) .......... I may be a dinosaur, but as fraserhutch suggests, there is still something more immediate and may I dare say "organic") and turning knobs vs. forwarding thru pages of screens. I still find that layering a few modules together can get me much fatter and more original sounds than trying to tweak some sample in a software application.

Are modules going away?

The short answer: YES; well sort of...

However if you're looking for rackmount hardware modules, you can pick them up for fairly cheap these days, but I have another option for you: The Receptor from Muse Research.

If you are not familiar with these they are essentially a purpose built 2U rack mount designed for use with plug-ins and virtual instruments. You can load all of your softsynths and processors into it's internal hard drive (mines 450GB but I'm thinking of going with a TB drive soon).

In the recording environment, it takes all of the burden off of your computer, and being that it is not your computer, it's not worried about emails, greeting card editors and all that extra junk.

It also has a guitar/instrument input so you can plug your guitar into it, and use Amplitube, or Revalver, or whatever for your guitar sound, and go straight to the PA, or your usual amp rig if you wanted to use it as just a preamp and skip the cabinet simulators. So synth module, guitar amp sim and processor, E-Drum module, guitarsynth, its up to you.

They are pricey, but well worth it. They did do one in conjunction with Peavey, but it's fairly limited by comparison.

LINK:
Muse Research support - Receptor videos and tutorials

Back