Another audio interface query

Dr.B

Hi,
Bit of a noob question, but I've looked at loads of audio interface posts and not really found a specific answer.
I have a simple home recording set up: laptop with onboard soundcard, DAW, midi keyboard and small mixer.
The output from the mixer goes into the "mic in" of the laptop - very basic.
I pretty much just demo record for my bandmates so guitar and vocals goes through my mixer.
I only ever record one channel at a time.

But I'd now like to be able to record a few channels at once to record live jams in the rehearsal room.
So would need guitar/vocals/bass/drums all on separate channels (multiple channels for drums).
My mixer has enough inputs but it, well, mixes these down to one output.

So I need a way of inputting separate inputs into my DAW simultaneously.
Would a USB mixer do this?
Or an audio interface?
What is the main difference (in the low price range) of a USB mixer like the Xenyx or a USB audio interface like the Akai EIE?

Cliffs: Need to record approx 6 channels simultanously. How?

Cheers!

If you are in the US and this has been posted many times, the TASCAM 1800 will do the trick, around $300 at GC, Amazon carries it for 230. USB works and unless you are mic'ing a drums (which you can send through a mixer and down mix but gives you less control).

You can go the mixer route, and it is nice, but for 99% of us, we track and only require to get the input levels for each track and then mix later, which is done in the DAW, so a mixer has less importance. Some still like to go that route or they want more control.

This should get you in the right direction. There seems to be a few more out there, I just can't think of any right now. There should be a few more posts that will give suggestions.

Thanks DM60.
A friend recommended a mixer as a "must" when I built my set up.
But his set up is a lot more pro than mine.
I'm UK but the 1800 seems to be around the same price in £ which is usual :yawn: but it seems reasonable.

Thanks DM60.
A friend recommended a mixer as a "must" when I built my set up.
But his set up is a lot more pro than mine.
I'm UK but the 1800 seems to be around the same price in £ which is usual :yawn: but it seems reasonable.

I would say, if you are going to use a lot of outboard gear then a mixer is probably what you may need. But if you are just going to track and then mix it down to two channel, using mostly VSTs, then I don't see the upside.

I didn't finish my sentence in the post, but if you do need to mic drums and want the channels, many will set everyone to a click track and then record drums later (that still gives you 8) as most here do not have a drum room and you're going to get a lot of bleed from the drums. But if you want everything live, you can set some drum mics up in a mixer and mix it to a stereo output that is routed to the DAW. It is limiting, but has and can be done.

For recording, here is a general process. Click track, bass, guitars lay down the tracks. Come back, let the drums lay down the tracks, then vocals. After that is is just a matter of retakes and corrections. This gives you the most flexibility, less to no bleed and you can get a real good mix.

I would add if you are going to work with many people, get headphones and a headphone amp (I have a 4 headphone amp) so everyone can listen and track. With today's equipment, and a little planning, you can really get a lot out of an 8 channel interface. Plus, most DAWs have unlimited tracks, so you just layer it and mix.

One item to note, just make sure your sources are not clipping. Screw up the source, you can't fix it. Other than that, it is pretty straight forward. (Other than room, but that is a different topic ;) )

OK thanks.
Got a few choices now, at least I know the kind of thing I want.
For rough demo-ing I have tended to do click, guide guitar, bass, guitars, drums, vocals, overdubs & keyboards.
Just because the bass player needs help :)
I can manage that with the set up I have, but with drums mixed to a stereo track.

I would like to record live, as we do a lot of jams. I suppose the quality wouldn't need to be that great since it's mostly to capture ideas, so mixing several drum mics down should be ok. And we'll have to manage / live with the bleed.

Tascam US 1200 might be enough actually.
How do the non-discrete inputs work? e.g. Behringer 1616 says 16 inputs but I only see 8 (I think).

One thing has come to light about the otherwise excellent Tascam 1800. The headphone output is pretty weak. I would suggest budgeting for a headphone amplifier.
I think Behringer make a 4 output jobbie for about 20quid that is not at all bad?

It is likely that the H/P outs are not that strong on other interfaces and in any case, it is very common to need to drive more than one set of cans.
Dave.

Tascam US 1200 might be enough actually.
How do the non-discrete inputs work? e.g. Behringer 1616 says 16 inputs but I only see 8 (I think).

What you see in this price point is says 8 inputs, then being extended though something like an ADAT connected device that has 8 more, the interface will see that and control the inputs through the drivers so you get a total of 16 inputs. You're only dealing with one interface inside the DAW.

That is the nice thing about having ADAT compatibility, you can extend the interface with more inputs, pre-amps, etc. If required.

Back