Analog transfer from VF80 to computer ..... noise problem. Help.

Guitar Jim

I like to transfer my own original music that I record on my VF80 to my computer, and I do it via the headphone output on the VF80 to the mic input on my computer and record it with Audacity. I've been doing it this way for 10 years now, and I'm very happy with the results and sound quality.

But 2 weeks ago I started getting a little "crunch" type noise throughout the entire recording, when I hit "play" on the VF80 during the transfer. The noise is repeated every 3 seconds or so whilst a recording is being played. I tried transferring it to another computer, but the same problem is there, so the problem is not with my computer or Audacity.

However, when I press "play" on the VF80 and listen through headphones plugged directly into the VF80 I hear no crunch noise. The noise only happens when I plug the connecting cord between the VF80 and computer and then press "play" on the VF80 .... it doesn't matter whether or not I'm actually recording it with Audacity .... all I have to do is press "play" on the VF80 and I can straight away hear the crunch noise on my computer's speakers. And if I do transfer the music to the computer, I always now hear the crunch sound on the final computer recording.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying noise. It's not a loud noise, and the volume of the music mostly overshadows it, but in quieter spots in the music it can be easily heard.

Thanks.

My first reaction is that a headphone output into a mic input is a level and impedance mismatch from hell, especially if you are talking about stock computer sound.

But, you say youve been doing it for ten years and you like the result...
The only thing I can think of is theinput on the computer is crapping out. If the computer is 10 years old, its not a surprise.
The best thing to do would be to get a cheap usb interface and plug a line out of your unit into a line in on the interface.

Back