Alternate tunings/show me yours and I will show you mine.

dogooder

I have never used capos and rarely use an alternate tuning.
D-A-D-A-A-D

Last edited:
I have never used capos
While I am a fearless advocate of each to their own, I have been using capos on guitars, mandolin, banjo and {live} bass for decades now, having originally said I never would.
My left hand probably still looks like a left hand and not that of a gnarled double-jointed arthritic octopus because of my capo use ! :P
rarely use and alternate tuning.
I use drop-D and double drop D on occasion.
But my laziness/practicality has enabled me to use alternative tunings. With a combination of varispeeding, detuning and capos, I've used alternate tunings pretty extensively. Works for me !!

My index finger has usually sufficed for a capo. I have a hard enough time playing guitar in standard tuning with no gadgets! I really like the song collage so I had to figure out the tuning. I have tuned guitars to E and A but really haven't played with them much On the pedal steel, every time you hit a foot or knee lever or any combination of them, the instruments tuning changes. Makes for a lot of fun.

My index finger has usually sufficed for a capo
The problem for me with that is that I might want to hold chords some way away from the capo for some high zingy chords. My index just can't do with a variety of cords, what a capo can.
But I'm only speaking for me. I'm lazy and didn't want to spend time learning 65 variations of every chord when I could do so by utilizing the capo and varispeed. I'm about the sonic result, not necessarily the process. Although I do enjoy the process.
I'm also glad when it's over !

The problem for me with that is that I might want to hold chords some way away from the capo for some high zingy chords. My index just can't do with a variety of cords, what a capo can.
But I'm only speaking for me. I'm lazy and didn't want to spend time learning 65 variations of every chord when I could do so by utilizing the capo and varispeed. I'm about the sonic result, not necessarily the process. Although I do enjoy the process.
I'm also glad when it's over !
I have played lead electric guitar almost my entire life. Except for open mics or just hanging out it is always electric lead on stage, I can't have that capo in the way is
what it boils down to. I can see where it works well for changing key and getting those open strings ringing. I can play most standard chords behind my index finger but with the capo you are now free to use your fingers as you would without one.

Currently working on a song using DADFAD tuning.
Major open (or barre) just adds the +1 on the F string... Pretty easy.
A string chords are XO2442 which is a stretch, but I have huge hands...

Capo's change more than the key , they affect the timbre a huge amount.

I have used alternate tunings for things like stones/faces , zep tunes, slide , etc.

Recently, one of my 'living room' guitars fell over and somehow it knokced the G string down to F# making the intervals between the first three and the second three strings a perfect 4th with the odd interval being the low D to the next string. The weird part is i didn't notice until I played an E and it was an E2nd. I liked it so much I tuned one of my acoustic's like it and leave it that way.

I like this tuning. If I remember correctly it’s an open E. (?)

I also like drop D, open D, open G with low E removed.

Last edited:
Currently working on a song using DADFAD tuning.
Major open (or barre) just adds the +1 on the F string... Pretty easy.
A string chords are XO2442 which is a stretch, but I have huge hands...
I can't tell with all the distortion that it is a different tuning.

I like this tuning. If I remember correctly it’s an open E. (?)

I also like drop D, open D, open G with low E removed.

I saw them on the Meddle tour in Carnegie Hall of all places. The tickets were three dollars!

On electric I never stray from standard. Same for acoustic except I will use a capo when needed. Lap steel I use open E for electric and either open E or D on acoustic. On 4 string bass sometimes I will lower the E string to get some lower notes.

On electric I never stray from standard. Same for acoustic except I will use a capo when needed. Lap steel I use open E for electric and either open E or D on acoustic. On 4 string bass sometimes I will lower the E string to get some lower notes.
Every time I hit a knee lever or foot pedal on my pedal steel the tuning of the guitar changes. With four pedals and five knee levers I don't think I have explored all the possible tunings yet lol

Back