Alesis sr-16 into ableton as midi

Claystork

Just got an alesis sr-16 and a midi to usb cord. I want to be able to capture my beats into ableton as midi, but I’m have a bit of trouble setting everything up correctly. Can anyone help walk me through step by step?

You mean you want to record the pad pushes? These come out of the SR-16 on channel 10 from memory - so you should find them on that channel in your DAW - you must also send them back to the SR-16 on ch 10 or there will be no sound. Something in my memory - it's nearly 20 years now, tells me the SR16 did NOT send it's preset patterns out via MIDI - they played the onboard sounds only. I could be wrong - it's a long time ago, but I think I remember this as an annoyance.

No, thats right. No sound comes from the midi cable. You could use the pads as a midi controller for some drum software in the DAW.

The interface would be needed to input the SR16 sound through 1/4" plugs.

Thank you both! I played around with it a bit more today and was able to accomplish what I wanted, albeit in the most basic and simple form. I still have a lot of playing around to do when I can find the time, but this got me started. I may be asking more questions as I get into it more. Thanks!

Back