akai dps 16: first impressions

drdrew

well, i've been goofing around with this unit a little bit this weekend, and my first piece of advice is:

if you are a guitar player who is a novice at digital home recording, GET A JOHNSON J-STATION!!!!!!!

i didn't have this little wonder box last week and i made some mediocre recordings...but they sounded "fake". i was going through a boss digital effects unit into the dps16.

then, mr. UPS man brought me the j-station today..and what a difference! i know there are those of you probably cringing right now who make real good real recordings without this, but i repeat, for the novice home recorder,this little baby does it. it has digital out that can go direct and sounds remain in the digital domain...not to mention multiple effects and amps...it even made my bass sound good! o.k. i'm done selling the johnson.

the akai is really quite easy to use for straight forward stuff....one evening of learning curve and i am jumping around it like a pro....the screen OFTEN has on-screen instructions that help guide you to what you might want to do next...the "mode" buttons make the decision process quite easy....i put down drums (machine) , bass, and guitar for a song tonight in about 1&1/2 hours.

i'm still trying to figure out the EQ section..it seems there might be separate EQ capabilities for each of the 16 tracks...but i'm not sure on that piece yet.....i still don't have the EFX card, so i can't comment on it..BUT..(now the bad news) i put my EFX unit on an AUX send patch and tried to work it that way, and i was quickly in over my head and gave up....i got lost...send busses and inserts and pres and posts and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

maybe after a fresh start on that piece it'll make more sense...but i really would rather wait and learn the EFX card first.

i haven't tried mixdown yet...but i don't think i'll need to...with 16 track playback and 16 (count 'em 16) individual faders and pans, i should be able to mix directly down to CD for immediate playback....thanks to the tascam. I think one of the big selling points of this machine is the 16 separate faders and pans...it's just a more "hands on" machine than the VS1680 that i have used earlier this year in another band........

o.k. sorry so long winded...but that's the impression after about 4 hours total dps time....more to follow...

Moderator Wannabee

Glad to hear that you like the DPS-16 so much.
I'll have mine within 2 weeks!! :)
How long did they say it would take for the soundcard to get there?

Every time I get ready to crossover to digital a new and better machine come along. From what I've been reading here and other places about the DPS-16, it seems like the best stand alone unit so far. Seems like a great price too.

drdrew- What did you mean by "thanks to the Tascam"? Which one are you mixing down to?

I'll be looking foward to hearing more about the DSP-16.

hey buck...

the coupon said "allow 8 to 12 weeks for delivery" of the EFX card....

i hope it doesn't take that long...i need some vocal effects pronto.

also, i don't know where you are getting yours, but i belive i got a good deal at wholesalemusic.com

$1850.00....+$30.00 shipping to get it here in two days. they were good to deal with.

i originally ordered from 8th street, but they kept stringing me along about a delivery date...i know it wasn't their fault, but i could have had this thing about a month sooner if i wasn't screwing around with them.

anyhoo, let us know when it arrives!

hixmix: i have the tascam cdrw5000.

russell: akai technical support (817)831-9203 M-F 8:30-5:30CST

or email akai_pro_us@akai.com

hope this helps.

I definitely agree with drdrew on using the Johnson J-Station for going direct, it has some killer sounds.
I compared it head to head with the POD and liked the sounds and the effects a little better.
Johnson doesn't market their stuff nearly as well as Line6, but overall, I think their gear is a little better quality.

Back