Adding Midi tracks to Pre-Recorded Audio?

music4Jesus

I'm a complete newbie, so please be patient. I'm running Sonar 8 Pro and I've laid down a few audio tracks (guitars, bass, vocals). Now I'm experimenting with MIDI data (via SessionDrummerII). Is it possible to sync the tempos between the two, i.e., is there a way to adjust the tempo of the MIDI data to match the audio tracks' tempo?

I'm a complete newbie, so please be patient. I'm running Sonar 8 Pro and I've laid down a few audio tracks (guitars, bass, vocals). Now I'm experimenting with MIDI data (via SessionDrummerII). Is it possible to sync the tempos between the two, i.e., is there a way to adjust the tempo of the MIDI data to match the audio tracks' tempo?

I'm assuming you don't know what the tempo of your audio track is, correct?
Well I use an older version of MOTU DP....and they have a great feature where it helps you find what the tempo of your audio tracks are....and then it helps line it up or snap your audio to beat with your tempo set within DP. I believe its called quantize beats within soundbites. I'm sure Sonar has to have a feature like that. Check out the MOTU website.
http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/beat-detect.html
I don't think this totally answers your question, but hopefully it'll give you an idea.

Thank you qrs, for taking the time. You're right, I don't know the tempo of my audio. I just used the Sonar's built-in metronome to keep time while I layed down tracks. Then I wanted to add MIDI drum data, the tempo of which I can change, but I don't know how to sync them together.

By the way, qrs, I'm using the MOTU DP link you gave me to try and find a similar fix in Sonar. Thanks so much. I'll be a regular on here with questions, as I'm just getting familiar with Digital Recording.

What about live tracks?

If you use headphones, and you know your midi interface well enough, couldn't you just play along with your pre-recorded tracks as desired? You would lose the use of looping for specific sections, but it might be fun to accompany yourself in a more "live" way, if you will. You can always go back and embellish after the fact.
Just a thought...

When you add midi data to a project that you already have established in Sonar, it should already set to the tempo of that project. So, if you set your tempo and recorded guitars to that tempo in Sonar, your midi file will adhere to that tempo. Just insert your SessionDrummer into the synth rack and go.

Myriad,

When I add a Session Drummer track, it plays at its own tempo. I can't get it to play in time with my prerecorded audio tracks (guitars, vocals, bass, etc.)
And I have no idea what the tempo of my pre-recorded audio tracks is, nor do I know how to change them, if it is possible to do so?????

music4jesus,

I use Sonar 6, but now I got my version of Sonar 8. I too have recorded audio tracks and I do put in my drum tracks using EZdrummer. A version of midi programming. You can put in your drum track beats and there in Sonar, right click on the track. There's an option for "audiosnap". Click on that and you'll get a window that will open up and look for quantize. You can move your midi beats and it should line up with the tempo of your song. Another way is to enter the tempo on the tempo menu. Once you enter the tempo, the song would line up to the beat of your song. Then you can do a quantize on the midi track of the drums to line up with the song. I think that should get you in the right direction of putting the song into timing.

Myriad,

When I add a Session Drummer track, it plays at its own tempo. I can't get it to play in time with my prerecorded audio tracks (guitars, vocals, bass, etc.)
And I have no idea what the tempo of my pre-recorded audio tracks is, nor do I know how to change them, if it is possible to do so?????

This is what I would do.
Adjust the tempo of session drummer to almost the exact tempo of your pre-recorded audio tracks. Everything won't be exactly in sync but should be close. That would determine a close tempo of your project.

Cause I use DP. I would use then use the adjust audio to tempo feature. You'd have to do some editing and playing around but it is possible.

But basically you would have to adjust or play around with your audio tracks a bit to sync them up perfectly. It's going to be a bit of work, but it will pay off in the end. I think even quantizing your audio might work too. I've also tried cutting certain parts in the audio track and shifting them forward or backwards and that works too.

Back