action/feel of keys on Yamaha DGX-650 vs. Casio PX-780?

zeppo

The Yamaha was release last year as an upgrade, and I think the PX-780 is about as new (and I think same keys as 750 and 850, and maybe 350). I wonder if any piano players out there have played these to have opinions?

I want to learn piano, so as a beginner, I'm sure either would do splendidly. But I have come across criticism about some clatter when releasing a key on the Casios. Sure enough, the model in the local Guitar Center did seem to have a key or two that seemed to exhibit this, vs the Yamaha. The Casio seemed to respond to a lighter touch than the Yamaha, but I'm not sure which is more representative of a real piano. I guess I'll stop by a piano store. But curious what objective opinions might be out there

Thanks

Finding someone who actually has these two models may be difficult. I have played a fair amount of different pianos in my life. I have a Yamaha s90 and a Casio Privia. My Casio feels good but I do detect the clatter (more like a rattle). I can feel and hear it. It really doesn't bother me. It's a faster action and requires less physical work to play than the Yamaha keyboard. The Yamaha keyboard does not rattle. I personally like the Yamaha keyboards and the s90 is a bit more flexible. It also require a bit more force to play it expressively. I recommend a heavy action for beginners to buld up the muscles. Pick the one that has a sound that will inspire you. You'll encounter a bigger difference between real pianos than you ever will between these two keyboards. You'll also realize that most people don't take care of their pianos.

Last edited:
A lady at a different forum recently purchased a DGX-640 and said she was very happy with the feel and responsiveness of the keys. I know that isn't the model you asked about, but it should be very similar.

I agree with ladewd-- real pianos can vary quite a bit from each other with regard to the feel and responsiveness of the keys.

Edit: If the two keyboards seem to have roughly the same feel and responsiveness, you might want to decide between them based on their sounds, as well as any special features that one or the other might have that you're especially interested in. Some people think Yamahas sound better than Casios, and some people think the opposite. I prefer the Yamaha sound myself, but when it comes to features it seems like Casio usually gives you more features per dollar.

I've always used Yamaha keyboards. Currently have an M08 and a YDP-142. I have always preferred their feel to Casio or Roland, and the sound is def sweet. Just bought my first Kawai CE220 and it is just as nice. I've played on Steinway C's and D's and even a nice Yamaha C6 when I was younger and competing at jazz festivals. That's why I got the bug. The Yamahas just have that same feel. Now the Kawai is a different animal. Not only the feel of the keys, but the response of the pedals is phenomenal. Half and quarter pedal movements are decidedly RIGHT on this piano.

Now, realistically, you're not going to spend $2,000 on a beginner piano. Also, realistically, you're not going to expect to get a $50,000 grand piano feel from a $800 piano. To be quite honest, if I were trying learn how to play the piano, I would recommend buying a cheap spinet that sounds decent at that price point. Yes, you have to pay to have someone tune it every year. Yes it's heavy and takes up more space. But it also has a real keyboard feel (cause it is :)) and it has all the pedals and they work right. You just can't learn the subtleties of a real piano on an electric without spending a lot more money.
If you are in an apartment, or just want to learn some theory, or you're just getting it for midi or for your own amusement or amazement, by all means follow the guidance above, but if you seriously want to learn to play "PIANO" you need one. :D

Back