Acoustic Guitar Strings

60's guy

For the past 15 years (or more) I have exclusively used Elixer strings on all of my acoustic guitars with good results, but recently it occurred to me that I shouldn't be single minded to the extent of using a particular brand of strings on all my acoustic guitars. I'm at the point of purchasing different brands of strings to experiment with on all of my guitars.

I'm not interested in opinions of which brand you think is best, but I am interested in reading any experimentation you may have done to find the best differing brands
to suit one or more of acoustic guitars you own. Every acoustic guitar is different.

Every manufacturer of strings claims it that their strings are the best, but I suspect that there might not be any truth to that unless the metallurgy varies.

My main acoustic guitar is an Alvarez Yairi DY55 made in 1980. 44 years old now, and aging, sounding as good or better than some of the acoustic guitars being produced lately by Martin and other manufacturers.

My goal is to read your stories.

I've used Elixers but went back to GHS Bright Bronze. 12's by the way. On Martin D-35, D-41, 000-18 and a Grand Auditorium sized Taylor. For me it's that crisp tone that I feel records really well.

I don't do "experimentation" unless I've got a problem with what I'm using, and that's the only reason. Generally I've used what the guitar shipped with when new and only changed when those became unavailable. The criteria is simple when I put on something different from what I had on before - does it sound at least as good, and do I like the feel. If not, then I'll decide not to get another set and look around for something else. If they pass the first two tests, the next is longevity, and as I like not changing strings, I always get something treated/coated, and will look for another brand. On mandolin, "feel" moved me from D'Addario XTs to XSs pretty quickly (and eliminated XTs from any chance of getting a trial on guitar). I will say that cost does enter the process, like when I recently decided to go back to medium strings on my one guitar, and while I had EXPs on it, I'm giving a [medium] Lifespan 2.0 set a whirl because they were cheaper than the XS set I will possibly try next. But, so far the Martins are doing fine and if they last like the old 1.0s did, maybe that'll be my new "standard."

I've used Elixer Custom Light Nanoweb 80/20s on my Taylor 310ce for years, but have tried uncoated 80/20s and Phosphor Bronze from Martin and D'addario. 80/20s tended to be brighter, which works with my finger picking. The problem I have is that finger squeaks drive me bonkers, so I go back to coated strings every time. Right now I have a set of Martin Lifespan 2.0 strings for my next change. I can't remember which type I have tho.

I will plead guilty to not changing strings often enough. I've had the teflon coating on strings start to "unravel" as it wore through. When I take off strings, you can usually see the grooves from the frets on all the wound strings. I guess I'm just lazy.

I use D'Addario phosphor bronze EJ16 on my acoustics, and have for many years. They last a long time (probably because I'm too lazy to change them). After they have been played a few months the tone doesn't seem to change much anymore. I change them when they start looking bad.

Im another "ocd" on the squeeking screaching thing. Its like fingernails on a chalkboard...for the elders who remember what a chalkboard is.

I dont even know what brand I buy but its the nanoweb coated that help reduce the nasty squeeching I do. Elixir is one...

I was always impressed like McCartneys Blackbird and the non-squeeking, on the original release, the new remastered 2009 has squeerching slides all over it...apparently doesnt bother a lot of people? Maybe the clarity of HD brought out the screeching more....the original sounds more 12 string smooth,
while the new HD is clear it magnifys the screecher squeeks of the sliding. Maybe it was the tube console and tube everything? and the new Digital clarity DAW brought out that "freq scratching noise"?

I have been experimenting with different D'addario mixtures and gauges and IME this is a great way to get different timbres.

I use whatever string make I happen to see at the time I need them. I buy in bulk so they last me a long time. I never change the strings unless they break and I can't repair them {usually the break will be at the bottom} and I've always mixed gauges. Makes no difference to my ears. I've used well-known brands like Ernie Ball and D'addario or unknown brands like Rockskool. I'll also use electric guitar strings for the acoustic sometimes.
All works for me !

I appreciate all of the responses.
I ordered a variety of D'Addario, GHS, and Elixir guitar strings that I am quite familiar with to experiment with further on my acoustic guitars to attain the best guitar/string marriage that brings out the best sound on an individual guitar basis. I'm convinced that each and every one of my acoustic guitars would sound much better when strung with strings that fit the guitar best tonally.
The one thing we all have in common is our reluctance and laziness to put new strings on our guitars even if we know the strings are dull.

The thread that inspired this thread?

I probably should have replied with this true story.
My dad was a guitar player, banjo player, and mandolin p!ayer. If it had strings...he could play it.
I saw my my dad boiling a pot of water one day. Because we lived oceanside I assumed he was boiling crabs or lobsters.
Me: What are you boiling Dad?
Dad: My guitar strings.
Me: Why?
Dad: Because they're dirty.

That was 65 years ago! Never once, in my lifetime, have I ever boiled guitar strings.

I restrung the Yairi with D'Addario phosphor bronze EJ16 strings tonight. Prior to re-stringing, I played my normal warmup with the old Elixer strings still on the guitar, and they still sounded good.
I should mention that I normally play acoustic guitar using the flesh of my fingers.
After re-stringing, the D'Addario strings sounded dull and lifeless in comparison to the Elixers. My immediate thought was that the D'Addario strings wouldn't be the best strings on this particular acoustic guitar.
And then, I grabbed a guitar pick, strummed, played individual notes, and all of a sudden, the Yairi sounded awesome!
I learned something tonight. It isn't just about finding the best strings for a particular acoustic guitar. It's also about finding strings that best fit your style of playing, with or without guitar picks.
And I agree with everyone that changing strings is a chore to be avoided.

Back