Achieving best voiceover quality at home?

Dave, did you try right clicking on the attachment and use Save Link As: ? Rename and save. I switch between Firefox and Chrome, depending on which computer I'm on.
Yes Rich but that only got me the LINK which plays the file. I want "Save Audio as" directly. Used to be "Save Target As" back in XP days.

No matter mate, I can now get the audio albeit in a roundabout way. Many thanks. (to quote a very famous brilliant movie "I didn't BUILD the $%£"ing thing!)

Dave.

I note our OP has not been back since Wednesday. It is always a bit disheartening when people ask for help and advice and then seem to disappear! We must of course not rush to condemnation, there could be very valid reasons for his no show.

One thought occurs for hi poor sound? Many times 'podcaster newbs' want to keep the mic out of shot? This seems an odd requirement to me because podcasts are not drama! There is no idea of fooling the audience that they are watching "real life". "Round the table" political discussions (most often descending into a verbal bunfight!) on TV often use desktop mics of considerable size. That is, they use a "Radio format" but on TV.

Another solution to a bad room is a headset, especially if the mic is noise cancelling. I SHALL get around to another clip tonight and will include one done with a very cheap Sennheiser headset.

Dave.

In my videos, I hate the prominence of the mics, so I always work further away. The studio is not an audio studio, but a video studio and around the edge run drapes - there are actually green and blue ones, with a black set over the top - hard floor, hard ceiling, and not a very high one. In some of the videos, the sound of fans could be heard - until I moved the recorder to the office and started it via the network. Now it's silent again, and in some videos, you can hear footsteps on the stairs or the occasional phone ring. If I don't shut the doors, then the railway crossing outside's sirens occasionally intrude, as does a photocopier upstairs. The upshot being that once you stop the space sounding like a box room, then increasing the mic distance evens out levels, stabilises the frequency response when you move and lets the mic capture what it hears. It's just signal to noise - and once the unwanted noises are reduced, few of the mics I've tried are remotely bad. Perhaps four maybe, out of dozens. Most are fine, a few really nice - but loads of them perform pretty strangely used very close - that's where they seem to do odd things. I can hear when I go off-mic, when I look and talk in a new direction. Topics where people talk about sound rarely work, because vocabulary to describe sound is so rubbish. People say "can we hear a clip?" and so many times people just carry on about the XXXXX sound - and we all think different things? My space is quite large, so bass issues are less, so just ordinary drapes do a pretty decent job on reflections.

Many times 'podcaster newbs' want to keep the mic out of shot?
I’ve heard this before from many people. I don’t get it. If you want to not have audio equipment if you’re making a video of a card game, sure, but then you should be thinking about lavaliers. But if you’re looking into the camera, sorry, it’s already no longer “natural.”

Much of this is probably someone hearing it when it applies to a specific situation and then they think it applies everywhere.

attached is your's truly on the above headset/ I don't think the voice quality is too bad? Said to be a "noise cancelling mic" not sure that is true but pretty good for 22 quid! My laptop does not have any form of audio input so I use a TECKNET USB dongle that accepts the two TRS 3.5mm plugs for mic and headphones and it performs the required A/D D/A conversions.

Later on I shall do much the same with an LDC.

Dave.

Attachments

• headset 01.mp3
    1.5 MB
It is a very quiet bank Holiday Monday here so at around 10:30am BST I decided to do the tests with my Sontronics STC-2 LDC.

Some of you might be able to tell a difference between the 500mm and 300mm recordings (M4 gain was adjusted to suite) in terms of the room's intrusion? I can't but then I live in it!
I have included a clip of the basic M4's noise with the gain left for the greater distance but with the XLR unplugged.

The STC-2 is a nice mic IMHO, released in 2005 it is not, as I said, as very low in noise as many modern LDCs but very acceptable I think? 18dA is on a par with very good SDCs but since the Sontronics is a least 6d more sensitive than most of those it has a better S/N figure. The mic also has a very neutral character so probably suites most voices, about a very broad 5dB peak at ~8khz starting at 2kHz. bit of a bump at 150Hz but from 200Hz to 2kHz, near on ruler flat. They retail at around $200 but since they have been around a long time I dare say second hand samples are common?

Dave.

Attachments

• 2023-05-29 stc 2 500mm.mp3
    2.9 MB
  • 2023-05-29 stc 2 300mm.mp3
    4.6 MB
  • 2023-05-29 M4 OC.mp3
    1.3 MB
In a way... the first example of a USB "talking" conversation mic worked fine, was clear, and no background noises to notice really. The latter clips werent as good imo. Seemed thinner and further away?

But if a person wants that Radio-late night DJ up close full louder chest, studio sound, seems the Rich sample/ setup handles that example. However the lip smack and breathes and nose noises inhaling and exhaling becomes magnified too, so everything is louder....so I guess skills required more a challenge.

Why is the OP's sounding like a large bathroom? I hear that a lot in youtubes, the familiar drywall reflection bathroom echo sound and Im generally using a TV speaker playback on a TV so even less bass and full range is missing and crap sounds even worse.

Maybe the OP tried responding but his keyboard doesnt work either?

Back