20-year-old Tannoy Reveals - should I replace them?

I'm unable to look at the graph as the site is acting strange and I keep getting server errors.
Same here, (still, 9 hours later). Thank you for your input, Folkcafe. Yes, I'm sure that boundary interference wave cancellation is the cause of some of the dips in the response curves I posted. I can tell this by listening to a frequency sweep and noticing how certain low frequencies sound too quiet, depending on listening position. I swapped the speaker positions, and tried to post new graphs showing avarages of two tests made with the mic at different distances... but couldn't upload the image due to the current site/network/server issues. My recording studio (if you can call it that) is far from ideal, so I do a lot of my mixing with studio headphones. That's a great idea about testing the speakers outdoors, away from structures. Unfortunately that's not practically doable, at my location.

Last edited:
Still cannot post images. I'll try later, if/when the site/network/server issue is resolved.

Last edited:
Same here, (still, 9 hours later). Thank you for your input, Folkcafe. Yes, I'm sure that boundary interference wave cancellation is the cause of some of the dips in the response curves I posted. I can tell this by listening to a frequency sweep and noticing how certain low frequencies sound too quiet, depending on listening position. I swapped the speaker positions, and tried to post new graphs showing avarages of two tests made with the mic at different distances... but couldn't upload the image due to the current site/network/server issues. My recording studio (if you can call it that) is far from ideal, so I do a lot of my mixing with studio headphones. That's a great idea about testing the speakers outdoors, away from structures. Unfortunately that's not practically doable, at my location.

Also keep in mind that you have room mode on 3 axis to contend with. Front to back, side to side and floor to ceiling. Every move you make changes your response measurement. Same if you just move your measurement mic. I used to have a spreadsheet for monitor placement. You could enter the room dimensions and then monitor position and it would calculate response at listening position. Soundton.com has something similar online that is graphical. There is a hamburger menu to set room dimensions and such.

You can also graph out the room like this and take multiple measurements. Edit: Still issues with uploading.

Last edited:

Also keep in mind that you have room mode on 3 axis to contend with. Front to back, side to side and floor to ceiling. Every move you make changes your response measurement. Same if you just move your measurement mic. I used to have a spreadsheet for monitor placement. You could enter the room dimensions and then monitor position and it would calculate response at listening position. Soundton.com has something similar online that is graphical. There is a hamburger menu to set room dimensions and such.

You can also graph out the room like this and take multiple measurements. Edit: Still issues with uploading.
That's interesting, Folkcafe. I must look into something like that graphing idea, some time - and the Soundton site. Mostly, my room acoustics don't seem to pose a signficant problem. My mixes usually end up sounding satisfactory when I listen to them on various other devices in various environments. I think the fact that my studio walls are mostly covered by shelves loaded with piles of stuff, helps. There isn't much empty floor space, either, and what is exposed, is carpeted. I don't think the ceiling is very reflective, either. But yes, there is stll some partial wave cancellation happening, at certain listening positions, but I've never found it to be a real problem.

Last edited:
That's interesting, Folkcafe. I must look into something like that graphing idea, some time - and the Soundton site. Mostly, my room acoustics don't seem to pose a signficant problem. My mixes usually end up sounding satisfactory when I listen to them on various other devices in various environments. I think the fact that my studio walls are mostly covered by shelves loaded with piles of stuff, helps. There isn't much empty floor space, either, and what is exposed, is carpeted. I don't think the ceiling is very reflective, either. But yes, there is stll some partial wave cancellation happening, at certain listening positions, but I've never found it to be a real problem.
If you are happy with your space and have managed to adjust your workflow accordingly, I would caution you against going down such a rabbit hole. I'm just one of those curious types that goes out seeking rabbit holes. I was pretty lucky that my first layout worked as well as it did. When I decided to re-do it all, I became very aware of its weaknesses. It's in an attic and the ceiling layout adds complexities. I was attempting to find a "sweet spot" and it became extraordinarly difficult to find with the layout. I so wanted to move mix position out and away from the wall. Even considered soffits but math conspired against me at every turn. Anyway, if you must, this is how I laid it out.

View attachment DSC00076.JPG

Back