“The Cave” Retro Appreciation Thread And Members

BBQ Joe. I like him and we actually talked in the phone several times. Last I recall he and wife Miss Rose were living in a small place he built on his land (Arizona?) away from his house that was off the grid. It was cool seeing pics and solutions he used while making it habitable. Propane tank provided fuel/power but believe he was installing solar as his primary then propane would be backup.

Thought about him because he owned a restaurant on a desert highway that was featured on the Travel Channel and a Yelp ad randomly popped up with 100 best BBQ places in the nation this morning.
I am pretty sure he is the dude that had his alcoholic daughter with him and had her digging a hole out there? I have my 39 year old alcoholic daughter here with me for the third time trying to get her straight. I haven't ran out of patience yet but it is wearing thin. I went to the police station two weeks ago to find out my options. I told her she has to get with the program or I am going to have to start the eviction process. Not only is it killing me emotionally, it isn't helping financially either. This time she got a job at least but was fired after six weeks for missing time. She has burned all her bridges and has nowhere left to go. She might give it a try this time. She has told me she has quit for months at a time but I don't really believe her. She can drink anyone I know under the table She was here for five months each the two previous times. We all have our crosses to bear.

It’s good you’re still her father and still love her but I know the feeling firsthand with my son.
At least you still have him. The same malady, drug addiction killed my stepson about 7 years ago in his fifties. Of course mom took it much harder than I . Yes, I loved him, had him since he was eleven. I admit I could never love him like his mother. He was a good guy except for that monkey on his back. My other stepson is very successful and my other crazy daughter does well also, how, I don't know?

Last edited:
I almost lost him 3 weeks ago from fentanyl/coke relapse hanging with some thugs from tha hood. They got high, picked up a whore in Opa-Locka and he was out to do suicide by cop. He has his CCW and reached back into his car at gunpoint with 5 units on the scene. He was 1 year sober and had just moved into an apt with a sponsor (not his) but solid roommate. Arresting officer said it’s lucky he wasn’t shot. His arraignment is 5/28

I’ve done every common narcotic but worst I got was a coke habit (not dependency thank God). He’s only 22 and seeing him fuck up from all of the heavy drugs he’s done is hard to deal with. He was doing so well but lost his job over this. Hopefully at the arraignment his lawyer will have the charges reduced or dropped through drug court. Right now he has a Felony possession charge for over a gram of coke 😞

For which he should be thankful because they didn’t charge him with DWI, open container, and I’m sure a few other charges from the incident.

I’ve done every common narcotic but worst I got was a coke habit (not dependency thank God). He’s only 22 and seeing him fuck up from all of the heavy drugs he’s done is hard to deal with. He was doing so well but lost his job over this. Hopefully at the arraignment his lawyer will have the charges reduced or dropped through drug court. Right now he has a Felony possession charge for over a gram of coke 😞

For which he should be thankful because they didn’t charge him with DWI, open container, and I’m sure a few other charges from the incident.
Hopefully it is his rock bottom. Eventually you either clean up your act, wind up in prison or dead.

Hopefully it is his rock bottom. Eventually you either clean up your act, wind up in prison or dead.
I know. Ex and I and her husband (ex-Army and also substance abuse counselor) are encouraging him to look at the military and we all agree it would be good for him.

Otherwise he’ll lapse again and probably several times after the next one…and die somewhere along the way 😞

Last edited:
I know. Ex and I and her husband (ex-Army and also substance abuse counselor) are encouraging him to look at the military and we all agree it would be good for him.

Otherwise he’ll lapse again and probably several times after the next one…and die somewhere along the way 😞
If he has a problem with authority the military might not be his best choice. It took me going to prison to learn to stay clear of the hard stuff. You live and you learn. When I left prison I had fifty bucks and good luck and don't forget to report to your parole officer. I know it can be done, because I did it. I was never physically addicted to anything but that is just a symptom.

Last edited:
f he has a problem with authority the military might not be his best choice. It took me going to prison to learn to stay clear of the hard stuff. You live and you learn. When I left prison I had fifty bucks and good luck and don't forget to report to your parole officer. I know it can be done, because I did it. I was never physically addicted to anything but that is just a symptom.
Yeah it may not be but we all believe it is worth a try. He’s not happy at ALL being in Dade County for 3 weeks now but not his first jail time. State would be different I’m sure and hopefully he straightens out before that happens but you never can tell. Best a parent can do with an adult is give emotional support, good advice, and encouragement.

It took me going to prison to learn to stay clear of the hard stuff. You live and you learn.

Yeah it may not be but we all believe it is worth a try. He’s not happy at ALL being in Dade County for 3 weeks now but not his first jail time. State would be different I’m sure and hopefully he straightens out before that happens but you never can tell. Best a parent can do with an adult is give emotional support, good advice, and encouragement.
I got my GED while in prison. I didn't even have that when I joined the AF. My test scores were high enough to qualify me for just about any job except pilot. That will give you an idea of how tough the tests were lol! I had a problem with authority, still do The only one who can intimidate me is the wife, i guess I'm a wimp.

The only one who can intimidate me is the wife, i guess I'm a wimp.
Yeah, that shit happens sometimes, sometimes meaning often. When you are in an exclusive mutual relationship and your better half is good for you and makes you better as a whole, each of you has a role and responsibility in the mutual basic framework. I get that

Back