Yestival Yes ...with Carl Palmer and Tod Rundgren opening for them

TAE

All you have is now
Damn amazing bunch of musicians playing in one place at one time...

Grabbed two tickets at little venue in San Diego that only holds 1700 peeps got me two just about smack dab in the middle of the venue...should be pretty nice seats...@ $80 a piece ...IMO in this day and age of crazy ticket prices a steal...Seen ELP a few times back in the day , Saw Yes several times and got backstage in Vegas to meet Anderson, Wakeman and Squire (BTW that was fricking cool evening) ...never seen Tod R but a big fan of him as a musician, songwriter and producer...he be bad ass....

Really looking forward to this show....

YESTIVAL-WEBSITE-BANNER.jpg

Saw, ELP a couple of times, Yes several times, Todd several times, and Carl Palmer without E &L once. Comer to think of it, saw E & L without P once also

I'm a big fan of all of them. Most amazing show I ever saw theatrically was a Todd/Utopia show. Emerson's flying piano was right up there, though.

You're a lucky man.:facepalm:

Oh, met Squire (personal hero to us 70's bass players) outside the stage door once doing autographs. He should have been a boxer. Talk about meat hooks!

Palmer is opening the show. Supposedly, Todd is doing a 'piece' of his most-recent tour, which was mostly new songs (blah, IMO). You know that this is the version of Yes with just Steve Howe and Alan White (of all the possible past members)?

Oh, met Squire (personal hero to us 70's bass players) outside the stage door once doing autographs. He should have been a boxer. Talk about meat hooks!

LOL yeah he was a rather petite fellow wasn't he....I happen to have "meat hooks" but only stand 5'11"....I had no idea prior to meeting the band that both Wakeman and Squire were so freeking tall...and Anderson so short...talk about disparity... Awesome band ...

fun fact...It was waaaaaay back in September of 77 at the Alladin in Vegas when I met em...I am a keyboard nut and a big Wakeman fan so we had damn good seats and I was watching Rick do his thing....all of sudden I am watching his fingers playing the Hammond and can hear what he is playing but there are non corresponding synth lines going out too at the same time.... After the show I had gotten hooked up with backstage passes and
went back to hang out and hopefully get to rap with the band. I see Rick and head his way. There was some dude in a wheelchair talking to him. Rick says...hey lets go up to the party...looks at me and ask...would you mind pushing his chair? No problem Rick ol buddy ol pal! So we head over to this elevator and up we go.....a little small talk and I hit him up....Hey I was watching you tonight and you were playing the B3 but I heard some synth sounds / different notes at the same time....An embarrassed look comes upon his face and he says "oh yeah , we have a few tricks" Can you say Backing Track? Least that's how I took it...so long before Millie Vanilly this shit has been going on...Nowadays it's almost a requirement...

LOL yeah he was a rather petite fellow wasn't he....I happen to have "meat hooks" but only stand 5'11"....I had no idea prior to meeting the band that both Wakeman and Squire were so freeking tall...and Anderson so short...talk about disparity... Awesome band ...

fun fact...It was waaaaaay back in September of 77 at the Alladin in Vegas when I met em...I am a keyboard nut and a big Wakeman fan so we had damn good seats and I was watching Rick do his thing....all of sudden I am watching his fingers playing the Hammond and can hear what he is playing but there are non corresponding synth lines going out too at the same time.... After the show I had gotten hooked up with backstage passes and
went back to hang out and hopefully get to rap with the band. I see Rick and head his way. There was some dude in a wheelchair talking to him. Rick says...hey lets go up to the party...looks at me and ask...would you mind pushing his chair? No problem Rick ol buddy ol pal! So we head over to this elevator and up we go.....a little small talk and I hit him up....Hey I was watching you tonight and you were playing the B3 but I heard some synth sounds / different notes at the same time....An embarrassed look comes upon his face and he says "oh yeah , we have a few tricks" Can you say Backing Track? Least that's how I took it...so long before Millie Vanilly this shit has been going on...Nowadays it's almost a requirement...

great story.
i was reading some issues with bands arguing to not lipsync (stones,doors refusing on tv shows etc...) or others like the monkees wanting to be seen as real...and there was a flurry of stuff about how much is real or part of the "show" like backing tracks or sound effects in the 70's.
hahaaa its funny though... backing tracks! how about a little backing track? say no more... wink wink..nudge nudge say no more...

Attachments

• wink wink.jpg
    wink wink.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 64
I want my money back....:cursing: For whatever reason Todd won't be appearing at the San Diego show...Damn! Nooooooo but he'll be appearing the next day at the LA show...wtf is up with that? SHIT!

You know that this is the version of Yes with just Steve Howe and Alan White (of all the possible past members)?

Yep...will be....."interesting" and kind of weird....That I will get to see two amazing drummers that I dig do their thing and Steve Howe is worth the price of my $95 ticket 20 rows back from the stage dead center...Hopefully it will be a good show.... as of today a whole bunch of the high dollar tickets (meet and greet types) have still not sold meaning there is a really good chance that there will be a lot of empty seats up close ....soooooooooo .......at 63 years old I'll be doing the ol sneak up front to the better seats trick that I used to pulled off quite exceptionally in my younger days :D Some kids never grow up.....

Usually those M&G tickets get released as 'regular' seats a few days before the show and get snatched up.

Saw Yes years back (with Anderson, Wakeman, Squire, too) from about the 15th row in front of Howe, incredible to watch him switching instruments and playing different ones in the same song. He used two Line 6 DT amps side by side, I assume he had them set up with different sounds, all controlled offstage.

Todd's set list for the first night of Yestival.

Come

Truth

Rise

Sir Reality

The Ikon

Buffalo Grass

This Is Not a Drill

Party Liquor

Past

Buy My T

One World

Hello It's Me

Just One Victory

Well.........

The venue was AWESOME....wife and I were able to sit dead center 12 th row for the show ( empty seats )..... Carl Palmer's "ELP Legacy" band was an incredible treat... his two young gun slingers really blew me away..... Steve Howe had to feel a little "less than" coming on after these kids....Damn! Probably one of the finest guitarist I have ever seen perform his name is Paul Bielatowicz...I'm still stunned...The Bass player who may very well be just as good a guitar player as Paul is named Simon Fitzpatrick.......what a phenom player....

originally when I bought the tickets it was under the guise I was going to see 3 bands...then Todd Rundgren was pulled from this show...Bummed as I had looked forward to seeing him nevertheless I was excited seeing Yes and though it would be weird seeing this ELP legacy thing without vocals...maybe it would be entertaining..... Holy shit!

Long story short...Carl's little show was epic...Carl at 67 years old is in damn great shape and smoked on the drums....and Yes was a BIG disappointment...Steve Howe was still damn awesome ...but...Alan White barely showed up and was off the stage more than on it during the show...The younger drummer played most of the show...sans AW...The keyboard player was Ho Hum and WAY TOO LOUD...Bass player was Amazing but again WAY TOO LOUD singer was on key and in the right range but not EVEN close to the soul and spirit of Jon Anderson.... The mix for ELP was spot on...whoever took over the sound for YES needed to be shot ....FUCKING STUPID loud and a deaf person could have done a better mix... Unbelievably bad...... so bad we had to leave after about 40 minutes of audio overload torture.... This was with tissue in the ears to soften it.... DAMN! I went back behind the sound booth to see if it sounded better there...No the dude just had his head up his ass.... very disappointing YES show...super surprise treat seeing two incredible young guns do their thing to ELP tunes with Carl keeping the beat for em...truly most excellent musicianship!

Here's a video from a their about 5 earlier giving you an idea of what I got to see..... call me impressed.....

So weird hearing ELP songs without keyboards! I saw a video of Lucky Man (with Todd singing) and the synth parts being done by the bassist on a stick with some pedals.

So weird hearing ELP songs without keyboards! I saw a video of Lucky Man (with Todd singing) and the synth parts being done by the bassist on a stick with some pedals.

Coming from a prog rock keyboard player background and with Keith being right up there at the top of the list with a few others, I was not really looking forward to hearing this ELP "Legacy" thing.....boy was I in for a surprise!

As mentioned previously...Simon Fitzpatrick ( the bass player) was a phenom... Yeah the lucky man synth solo on a stick was damn impressive.... because Todd was not there musically the other versions out there on the net are more entertaining / impressive...They had to tone it down and adjust for Todd to sing...Very cool in it's own right but different...

*plugs ears* NOPE EVERYTHING IN THE SEVENTIES WAS AUTHENTIC AND EVERYONE PLAYED PERFECT SHOWS EVERY TIME THEY GOT ON STAGE.

Lol... I had such a idealized view of 60s/70's music for so long but I've learned that it wasn't always everything it's cracked up to be. I always thought of every artist as being in full control of all their musical choices and such but have since learned just how much of a role the producers and studio musicians played. I saw Yes when I was about 15 and I remember it being really good but that's about all I remember. They have always been one of my absolute favorite bands, there's no one else like them imo.

I saw Yes when I was about 15 and I remember it being really good but that's about all I remember. They have always been one of my absolute favorite bands, there's no one else like them imo.

I have always like Yes, also ELP. I have seen Yes twice in recent years, 1st time with Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman Alan White, Chris Square, and Steve Howe playing the second time with Geoff Downes and Jon Davison. Glad I saw the show with Chris Square before he passed, he was the only member to be on every album.

Alan.

I didn't know that! They have an amaaaazing performance you can find on youtube when you just look up "Yes live", it's from like 72 I think, I will never understand how that band put out all those albums in the 70's. With all the intricacies and strokes of genius I would expect each album to take 5 years! But I think they were putting an album out just about every year and it boggles my mind.....

It's funny, there was so many line up changes that whenever they recorded an album the tour would always have at least one member change. They in fact never toured the recording line up untill they did that special tour in more recent years with all past members where they would swap the line up to reflect the tracks they were doing. Owner of a Lonely Heart is a prime example, the line up was almost not Yes, Jon Anderson actually only rejoined the band during recording, if he hadn't they were going to call the band a different name.

List of members

I own a book about Yes (can't remember the name but I think it was "close to the edge" but I may have more than one book), talks about the various lineups and talks about the recording, they used to jam a lot in the studio with record running, then they would listen to the parts and say "I like that bit" "don't like that" etc, then they would cut and past the Analog Tape making up the finished track, when it was finished the band would sit with it and chart their parts and learn the arrangement LOL.

Alan.

Back