WOW! Great Business proposition for all you dumb ass musicians!

TAE

All you have is now
Here's the deal..

You write the music and perform it and I'll pay for it to be recorded and sell it for you...you just sit back and count the money comin in pal!

Let's say howsabout an 88 / 12 split ...I get 88 you get 12 since I'm doing all the heavy lifting? That's fair right ...I mean all you're doing is writing and playing the dumb songs...

And ya know you should feel lucky at that cause back in the day it was a 93/7 split but I'm just feelin generous cause I like you and you're terrific n all! :laughings:

Musicians only got 12% of the $43 billion the music industry generated in 2017, and it mostly came from touring

Didnt Taylor Swift try fighting it all then caved in too?
Whose the big name Clive Davis whose like 300 yrs old, hes broke a lot of new musicians with his connections.

I always read beatle books and the Dick James publisher guy got bad raps but then Geoff Emerick or someone inside said really George Martin got Dick James because they "needed" a publisher and they signed for peanuts but Dick James had them on TV in a week....which never would have happened on their own most likely.

so is 93% of the artists money spent on getting big and 7% goes into their retirement account or party-drugs account etcc?

Im cynical in my old age a bit, Hit Paraders from 1974 now seem almost like a fake advertisement for new bands paid for by someone to get on the cover ($$wink wink)....or a main article ($$$ wink wink)....plugging new records....with some journalism in the short read news sections of John Lennon and May Pang and Led Zepplin and the Who and Stones...and McCartney and Wings ...but 1974 and it was all a advertisement to the teens, right?

so payolla on steroids.... Alan Freed...Rock Around the Clock radio play...

93% business pr and 7% cash profit for the artist.

Brian Epstein some considered a inexperienced dolt signing off all the Beatle bubble gum money because of low payout to the beatles and yet due to the huge profits to the toy companies, the toy companies pushed even more sales and advertisements because they got all the money....helping to create the mania?

how does Taylor Swift or Drake make the front pages and headlines?
cash $$$ ....I think its a lot of advertising cash and now with streaming music for the 12yr olds with PayPal accounts maybe the artist saving money on studio debt time will not be needed as much.

so my sons band might make $50 month for doing nothing except people playing and downloading their stuff,
but reverse math would mean his 7% is $50....so $50 is 7% ..what is 93%? the websites get that money?
so $725 month the artist gets $50 the rest is website download, so they are making someone $675 a month?

There you go getting all mathematical n shit!

Sit back relax..I'll do the thinning around here Bobalouie! OK Quickstraw! Only us old guys will get that one ;)

Yeah it's a shame that it was all a sham and like cows to the slaughter we all took the bait hook, line n sinker..

Today with the internets it really is a new game but it is really dilluted...so it's hard to get 100 million people watching you on a Tuesday night...

I was watching an interview with Catherine Oxenberg one of the stars in Dynasty discussing her daughter getting caught up in a cult....and in it she mentioned the fact that when Dynasty aired in the 70's there were only 3 major networks so when you had a hit show you had a viewership of 100+ million viewers...in today's world with 1000's of choices in viewing media you only get that kind of viewership / publicity is with the super bowl and super sporting events like the world cup , world series...a super boxing match...Thus the Beatles on an Ed Sullivan show aired in 2018 on NBC or ABC would have a much smaller viewership than in 1962...Very much more difficult to get a 100 million people looking at you all at the same time than it was 50 years ago...weird...

And.. 50 years ago the U.S. population was only around 160-170 million - about half of today's. (#'s off top of head, not top of google results)

Sit back relax..I'll do the thinning around here Bobalouie! OK Quickstraw! Only us old guys will get that one ;)

Yeah it's a shame that it was all a sham and like cows to the slaughter we all took the bait hook, line n sinker..

Today with the internets it really is a new game but it is really dilluted...so it's hard to get 100 million people watching you on a Tuesday night...

I was watching an interview with Catherine Oxenberg one of the stars in Dynasty discussing her daughter getting caught up in a cult....and in it she mentioned the fact that when Dynasty aired in the 70's there were only 3 major networks so when you had a hit show you had a viewership of 100+ million viewers...in today's world with 1000's of choices in viewing media you only get that kind of viewership / publicity is with the super bowl and super sporting events like the world cup , world series...a super boxing match...Thus the Beatles on an Ed Sullivan show aired in 2018 on NBC or ABC would have a much smaller viewership than in 1962...Very much more difficult to get a 100 million people looking at you all at the same time than it was 50 years ago...weird...

El Kabong!!!!

Reactions: TAE

How much money do I need to send you?

But you don't need to feel pity for them. They earn enough.
That is a very limited group that are what we could classify as independently wealthy / not have to worry about money the rest of their lives.

I know many an incredible artist that "made the big time" now living a paupers lifestyle or had to get a day job to "get by" in the end...

It's not like the big time sports stars that make enough in a few seasons to sit back and chillax the rest of their lives.

IMO the ratio is all screwed up but that's the business it is unless you happen to one of the rare ones that fight the system and come out on top like Prince...well that didn't work out so well did it?

10-4 Alterman

Agreed Right, Place at the right time and a little luck to boot surely has allowed many artist to make it...It's always kinda funny now being an old fart when I hear an 18 year old for that matter a 30 year old say as they are accepting a Grammy or whatever ..something to the effect I've worked so hard all my life for this moment...sheesh!

I have to say that I do recognize a few guys who just busted their ass 24/7 to make it who made... it goes with the saying...The harder I work, the luckier I seem to get. It is highly unlikely to be a Justin Bieber discovery almost close to the odds of winning the lottery...Making it in show business is a grind...

Cool story...My dad's step brother , my uncle was a pretty famous cowboy star ..he was one of the Red Ryders and had his own TV show for a few seasons called the Rocky Allan Lane show...So he was living the high life and loved horses...and..race horses...well he enjoyed "feeding the ponies" at Santa Anita race track...Well fortunes come n go and his went to the ponies...and Father time started having his way with him too...Yikes! So he wasn't the suave handsome young dude and the parts were becoming far and few between...He was really down on his luck living on the couch of his buddy who was a horse trainer for the studios..So he went to the studio one day with him while they were shooting the pilot of Mister Ed...He's sitting there and hollers out Hey Lester where's the coffee? The directors ears perked up and said...That's Ed's voice!.. Fricking right place at the right time...Best gig he ever had and his claim to fame..Lot more to the story but thought I'd share the right place at the right time real life story...

Found on FB so who knows if true. If it is, that is fucking lame!...

Attachments

• Frampton.JPG
    Frampton.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 10
Negotiating!

Or as old Chester Karass says...You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate....Just used that philosophy yesterday and saved myself @ 30% on a invoice I needed to pay...still...OUCH! And then what I got what I asked for so fast I knew I could have done better....oops! :confused:

BTW I love that signature there Spantini!

Back