Why do we ( some of us anyway ) pay to see a fight that will be aired for free a week

Boxing is a great sport, but it's been ruined by crooks. I realize crooks and gamblers always had their hand in it, but they managed to finally ruin it. The last good era of boxing was the 70's with Ali, Frazier, Norton, Foreman, Lyle, etc....It's over now.

But I'll take a good boxing match over a good UFC match any day. I'm obviously biased because my whole family are boxers, starting with my Dad who was the Technical Director of the Canadian Boxing federation and went to the Munich Olympics. I still box now and have a boxing teacher that I train with once a week. I love boxing. Too bad pro boxing sucks horribly now.

I'm watching the fight live for free.

Way cool Rami...My pops boxed in Los Angeles "back in the day". He never went pro but I guess he did alright as a kid in the Golden Gloves youth program. None of us really carried on the tradition but I have his big ol bad ass fist.. just under 13" circumference.

Kudo's to having the commitment to train weekly that's serious shit. Wish I had the willingness to commit to something like that but that's waaaaay too much work. I'm lucky to get my 30 minute light jog in each day.

In regards to watching the fight live free...please tell us you mean on closed caption cause if you're sitting ringside free there's gonna be some hating going on...:thumbs up:

I've also learned that some of the wimpiest looking mother fuckers are deadly. .

Truth! I knew a dude that totally looked like freeking Gilligan when I was in my 20's...his name was Mike Wise...holy shit....deadly ...because he looked a bit dorky and lived in Los Angels he "looked" like an easy target. More than one bad guy found out the extremely hard way things aren't always what they seem..

Boxing is a great sport, but it's been ruined by crooks. I realize crooks and gamblers always had their hand in it, but they managed to finally ruin it. The last good era of boxing was the 70's with Ali, Frazier, Norton, Foreman, Lyle, etc....It's over now.
What do you - or anyone else - consider great about any of the beat up the other guy sports?

People hold Ali up like some demigod. Escapes me why people regard him as a "role model". He was passed through school as a semi-literate because he could box. He ran his mouth a lot but from what I've seen he's ignorant as dirt on any subject besides boxing and Islam. For a period he was adept at inflicting violence. To me the most laudable thing he did was telling the US Gov't to eff off regarding serving in Vietnam.

That arrogant bastard. Next time you should smash a pint glass and cut his face up.

You need a manager. If two men hitting each other with padded gloves is worth $400 million, a fight involving a broken glass should be worth at least double that!

What do you - or anyone else - consider great about any of the beat up the other guy sports?
The athleticism, the dedication, the training, the technique, the competition between two trained athletes that are very good at what they do. If you don't like sports, none of those things will mean anything to you and I'm sure all you see is two guys beating each other, so I'm probably wasting my time even answering.

People hold Ali up like some demigod. Escapes me why people regard him as a "role model". He was passed through school as a semi-literate because he could box. He ran his mouth a lot but from what I've seen he's ignorant as dirt on any subject besides boxing and Islam. For a period he was adept at inflicting violence. To me the most laudable thing he did was telling the US Gov't to eff off regarding serving in Vietnam.
I couldn't be bothered even discussing it with you. It's not as if either of us would change our view on it no matter how much we tried. Personally, I think he was the greatest boxer that ever lived, and one of the greatest athletes of all time. As far as the rest is concerned, I don't really care. I don't worship athletes, musicians, or anyone else. I'll admire their talent if they're good at what they do, but they go to the bathroom just like me and you. I don't put them on a pedestal.

The athleticism, the dedication, the training, the technique, the competition between two trained athletes that are very good at what they do. If you don't like sports, none of those things will mean anything to you and I'm sure all you see is two guys beating each other, so I'm probably wasting my time even answering.
There's skill and athleticism in many sports, what specifically is it about sports where the competitors pound each other toward dementia that's "great"?

There's skill and athleticism in many sports, what specifically is it about sports where the competitors pound each other toward dementia that's "great"?
What are you, doing a school project or something? What is it about football, or baseball, or any other sport that people like? Why do people like to see grown men chasing around a ball? Why do people like to watch a bunch of cars going around in circles for hours? Here's an idea, why don't we spend the whole night asking stupid rhetorical questions. There are many things in life we just like and don't need to explain why. I couldn't tell you why I like certain songs. Obviously, you don't like the "beat the other guy" sports (good thing you don't sound like a frickin' 3 year old when you say that :laughings: ). Personally, I couldn't care less why you don't like it. To each their own. Get some sleep.

I've also learned, from taking Tae Kwon Do and getting a black belt many moons ago, that some of the wimpiest looking mother fuckers are deadly.

Ha!! That would be my wife. Incredibly good and still kicking at 52. She went to compete in the World Championships in Korea before I met her, but didn't get to fight because her club didn't pay their dues. Dumbasses. :mad:

We've been doing this boxing work-out thing for the past coupla years. No sparring, just pounding on a 100lb bag. Lots of fun, plus it gives me a waiver to drink beer and not feel too guilty.

It is definitely a primal thing...now that we're "civilized" instead of beating each other up we push a button and nuke a million or two to settle up.

It's part of our "nature" ever watch a bird rip a worm into shreds and suck it down...ever watch a cat eat bird? Ever see a dog kill a cat? Ever see a mountain lion munch on a dog or human? It's a brutal world and not everybody is "nice" it is prudent to have a clue on how to defend yourself in an emergency situation...Though boxing isn't exactly as deadly as martial arts it kind of sets the tone of what happens when you are in a real fight...and like it or not sometimes it happens...maybe never...

Why we watch..not really sure but when you were in school did you ever watch a fight go down with the rest of the crowd? Did you walk away in disgust or watch it with a bit of curiosity as to who was going to win?

We're all spectators of life...and fighting is a part of it like it or not.

It is definitely a primal thing...now that we're "civilized" instead of beating each other up we push a button and nuke a million or two to settle up.
Of course nuclear warfare has only around 200k casualties total inflicted long ago. Nowadays they recruit people with the promise of getting to shoot or otherwise blow up swarthy savages.

Factoid I just read - American, British and Dutch POW's were killed in the nuclear bombings.

Here's something I just learned an hour ago when I purchased the fight... if you do buy it, you will only be watching it on the TV you bought it from. It ain't gonna work on the TVs upstairs unless you want to shell out another $100 per.

Maybe this is normal, I can't remember the last time I bought anything PPV.

Lol @ Mayweather denying media credentials to reporters that don't kiss his wife beating ass.
Supposedly it's all sorted out now. Either it was never true, or they backed down and let them in.

---------- Update ----------

Pacquiao vs Mayweather Live Stream

Stream 4 has started the prelims. It keeps going on and off line, which I've never seen this site do before. But if you refresh the page, it usually comes back. Stream 4.
Stream 4 or 7 for now.

Lol @ Mayweather denying media credentials to reporters that don't kiss his wife beating ass.

Mayweather lives in his own world, which is apparently possible when you surround yourself with a posse of bootlickers and leeches that tell you everything you want to hear.

RAMI said:
Supposedly it's all sorted out now. Either it was never true, or they backed down and let them in.

It was probably true. His handlers know they have the upper hand and they use it to manipulate as much as they possibly can, until public opinion gets too hot. Which I guess means they're like every other set of handlers for any celebrity out there.

Hey, a question. I'm not gonna watch but just checked the PPV price here in Aus and it's. $59.95 which is under $50 U.S. Are you guys really paying $100?

And yeah. Down here at least, PPV is only for the set you buy it from, not the whole house.

So what is this fight about and why is it so special?
I never heard of these guys but the narrative is telling me that the black guy is knt and the Asian guy is the underdog.

Back