Where do you live? What's it like?

Greg_L, how close are you to Columbus? If you get off I-10 right before you hit 71 there's a great BBQ place called Mikeska's right off 10.

I miss living in Houston, sort of. In the 31 years I lived there, my vehicles were broken into over 8 times and my house was burglarized twice, both times in the middle of the day when I wasn't home. Central Indiana, on the other hand, is super quiet. Nothing much to worry about up here but it's because nothing much goes on so it gets a little boring at times.

And that's impressive knowledge of countries outside the USA for an American :p!

Haha, I pride myself on being more educated and progressive than the average redneck blind patriot american. Growing up in Louisiana, we actually learned French and lots of European history. Then I moved to Texas, and it was like this is the only place that exists in the universe. We actually had "Texas history" classes. Mandatory. Like Texas has any kind of history. It's ridiculous. Coming from Louisiana I was like "you idiots don't have jack shit". Compared to Texas, Louisiana is like ancient Egypt. And nothing in the US compares to asian/european history. Then I got beat up by mexicans for thinking the Alamo was no big deal. Now I have mexicans cutting my grass. Laissez les bon temp rouler!

Greg_L, how close are you to Columbus? If you get off I-10 right before you hit 71 there's a great BBQ place called Mikeska's right off 10.
I'm about 60 miles east of Columbus. I've been to Mikeskas a long time ago. I think it was pretty good. There's a BBQ place here in Katy called Midway, and I'd put it up against any other Texas BBQ. It fucking rules.

I live in New Hampshire. No relation to old Hampshire. Small state up north. We don't much give a fuck about the rest of the country.

My Canadian ex couldn't tell me when the first or second world war began or ended.

I wonder if these people think that time began with them.

To stay on topic:
Toronto is beautiful in the winter but it only has two metro lines. What's up with that?

without the stuff...

Is this more of that thinly veiled racism :laughings:

How'd you like it overall? I only saw it as a tourist during the winter. I get such a stiffy walking around skyscrapers and it was great to be able to look up and see them disappear into the fog with a faint red blinking light at the top somewhere in the distance.

I enjoy reading about where people live. Thanks jonny deep for starting it.

I don't enjoy reading all the rubbishy cave stuff between the interesting bits.

So I went and deleted a whole bunch of irrelevant posts.

I think it has a much better flow now.

Thanks for doing that. :)

:laughings:
Sculpting threads. Such an artist!:D

Home right now is Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The Nation's Capital, and my work "HQ" when I'm here.
It's not the place I'm staying when I retire, but it's doable right now.
Cold as hell in the winter, and generally lots of snow.

We've got the largest outdoor skating rink in the world (The Rideau Canal - 5 miles of cleared skating) and lots of winter things to do, actually, which is to be expected. Summer is fine, just short; there's lots of lakes, parks and recreation nearby. Doesn't get too hot in the summer either.

Having lived in many different places outside Canada over the years (Trinidad, Japan, Korea, Mexico and the US), and visited many more, I still enjoy living in Canada (generally, just not in the frikken winter).

I'd love to live in Australia, and i really enjoyed Northern Virginia, but I don't see that living there permanently is likely. Still have to visit Continental Europe and the UK, most of my travels have been Asia and the Americas.

Doesn't sound like many of us are dissatisfied with where we live, I guess we all do what we can to find satisfaction wherever we hang our hats.

May the Tasmanian Devil bite you in the ankle. :mad:

Cheers! :)

I grew up in Hampshire in England. Dad was a Kiwi and my Mum is Swedish so we took a while to get to England after having lived in Jersey (where I was born), New Zealand, Bahamas and then to England. Lived in a village called Wickham, then Aberystwyth in Wales, London, Leeds and back to London. Then, 17 years ago made the big move to New Zealand - town called Hamilton which is a good town. It has become a wee bit more cosmopolitan over the past 17 years and I really like it here.

Back