Where do you live? What's it like?

I like the red balloon!

Here's a picture of one that landed on campus yesterday:

IMG_4743_zpsw511iexv.jpg

Maybe the branding was chosen to mock the nerds of the Computer Science department (which is my department, btw).

I live here. I was going to use a giggleearth snap but the house is hidden by trees in that.
The beach is about 300m behind the house - not that I go there - as a "Westie" I HATE beaches.
There are seven houses in our little off the road enclave but a about 4\four hundred altogether in the village.
We're nestled in the last remnant of a rain forest.
Given where we are its no great wonder why the internet is incredibly poor - just a wonder why I have to pay as much for it as those who get ADSL2 and NBN.
Aussie Health Care - yep, almost universally great unless, like me, you needed a non standard robot assisted operation. As I'm still working/not retired/still paying health insurance on top of the 1.5% of income medicare levy, I was out of pocket $18,000.oo, (govt paid $1500 & my ULTRA expensive health insurance paid $500), but it would have been much, much more anywhere else and, hey, I'm alive!

Last edited:
stanwell-park-airodd.jpg
I found a useable snap. It's from an essay about the old coast road so I blacked those labels & arrows. I live somewhere in the little group with with the white line around it.

Fremantle Western Australia, Home of the Mighty Fremantle Dockers football club.

About 2 mins walk from here;

View attachment 92344

And here;

View attachment 92343

In this part of the world:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...m2!3m1!1s0x2a32a249e10837bb:0x504f0b535df4480

That street scene looks very much like the area of Fremantle where I had a lovely lunch when I visited back in the 90s. I can't recall the name but it was on a corner with sliding doors to combine the indoor/outdoor areas. As I recall I treated myself to some oysters...

Nice part of the world though!

I've never been to Fremantle. I used to visit Perth quite often for work, but never had time to explore. Fremantle looks enchanting

I live in Melbourne. After seeing some of the world I would describe it as a modern grid locked shit hole full of immigrants, bogans and greedy fuckers whose only contribution to the economy is flipping properties.

Would like to live in a super modern advanced European direct democracy like in Switzerland.

Vienna was awesome btw. People ( pedestrians* - not people in cars ) waiting at the traffic lights at 10 pm on a non busy road with not a car in sight. Lol.
Robots ? Maybe. Or maybe they just realise you play by the rules to make things go smoother.

*edited to avoid confusion

Last edited:
I don't even wait at a red light in my car if there's no one in sight. What's the point? City I live in doesn't even have crosswalks or, for the most part, sidewalks...

That's really cool. My area of Texas is devoid of any natural beauty. The Gulf of Mexico has awesome fishing but it's not much to look at. The landscape is literally as flat as can be. I think our average elevation is around 50ft above sea level. All we have is trees. Big giant oaks, pines, and pecan trees. Lots of trees, where urban sprawl hasn't knocked them down. Head an hour or so west and you get into the Hill Country, which for Texas is spectacular. For other hilly, mountainous states, it's a joke. Out there you get into the Texas wildflowers during the spring, and they're pretty nice.

The cool thing about Texas is that it's gigantic. About 1000 miles across, and probably equally as tall. It's so ridiculously big. When you enter Texas from Louisiana on I-10, you're greeted with a highway sign that says "El Paso - 957 miles". It's kind of funny unless you're actually driving to El Paso in which that sign alone is enough to make you wanna turn around. Texas could be divided into three or four distinctly different states.

Texas might actually be bigger than most countries in Europe. Maybe, I don't have the numbers. Is Greenland part of Europe? How much of western Russia is part of Europe? Those are the only two land masses around Europe that I can think of that are probably bigger then Texas. Maybe France? Ukraine? Sweden? They're probably bigger than Texas.

I was in the Ukraine last year. It's the wild west ! Beautiful place. Sad place. Gangsters run the show. They're everywhere. Nice people though and the women ? WOW ! A seemingly disproportionate amount of clear skinned, slim, high cheekboned glamours !

Last edited:
Back