What's going on in the Mp3 clinic?

On the one hand, noobs (and I include myself in that category) are told to participate in order to garner feedback from other members; on the other hand, it's being said here that noobs should stfu about better mixes than they could achieve.

Where is the line when it comes to acceptable critique? If I hear something out of whack, am I allowed to point it out, even if I had no hope of ever getting anything close to the mix/recording myself? I don't need to be a pilot or engineer to see that an aeroplane's engine is on fire and tell someone about it.

On the one hand, noobs (and I include myself in that category) are told to participate in order to garner feedback from other members; on the other hand, it's being said here that noobs should stfu about better mixes than they could achieve.

Where is the line when it comes to acceptable critique? If I hear something out of whack, am I allowed to point it out, even if I had no hope of ever getting anything close to the mix/recording myself? I don't need to be a pilot or engineer to see that an aeroplane's engine is on fire and tell someone about it.

Shoot from the hip.

When something sucks though you have to beat them over the head with it. Fake pleasantries and pussy footing around doesn't help anyone. Make them feel like shit so they never fuck up again!

Parenting 101

When something sucks though you have to beat them over the head with it. Fake pleasantries and pussy footing around doesn't help anyone. Make them feel like shit so they never fuck up again!

Parenting 101

A spade is a spade, not a shovel. :thumbs up:

I don't think anyone said to STFU. You can comment all you want. It's a good thing.

No, not explicitly to STFU, of course. It just seems that the overall message of this thread (if there is one) is that some of the more experienced members get annoyed by comments from noobs. I just wonder where the line is when a comment is just ignorable or detrimental (or something!). Maybe I'm reading too much into it...

No no no....that was my advice to you regarding mix advice. Say what's on your mind. Didn't even mean to imply you should be rude. Just speak.

I always just say what I think/hear. People can ignore it as they see fit. Actually, I barely get time to listen and just look out for people I know posting. If something by Rami comes up in the new posts feed, I'll almost always give it a listen and give comments where I hear anything. There are a few other names that will draw me in, but I hardly ever go through the sub-forum to listen to other stuff.

No, not explicitly to STFU, of course. It just seems that the overall message of this thread (if there is one) is that some of the more experienced members get annoyed by comments from noobs. I just wonder where the line is when a comment is just ignorable or detrimental (or something!). Maybe I'm reading too much into it...
Yeah, I think there's just some venting going on. Truth is, if I posted something and it dropped off page one without a comment from anyone, I'd be a lot more disappointed by that than I would be about getting a few comments that I disregard.

I remember starting a "Life of a song" thread, where I posted a song from the its' inception to completion, and nobody left a comment. I have to admit, it pissed me off, but it shouldn't have. It was my fault for expecting everyone to care as much about my tune as I do. I had a very humbling "Oh! You mean the world doesn't revolve around me?" moment. :)

some of the more experienced members get annoyed by comments from noobs.

Trust me - noobs are NOT the problem, in my view. Sometimes they have very pertinent comments to make, even if they don't know how to fix the stuff they hear. I'll leave it at that.

Trust me - noobs are NOT the problem, in my view. Sometimes they have very pertinent comments to make, even if they don't know how to fix the stuff they hear. I'll leave it at that.

This is true. I'll often hear something iffy but I wouldn't know how to fix it.

If I'm considered one of the "more experienced" members, I don't mean to imply that n00b comments annoy me. They don't. I've been fortunate to always get many pages of replies on my songs and I'm always grateful for that. I just think I've gotten to the point where I can make a mix sound how I want it to sound, so someone else's personal biases or preferences usually aren't enough to make me want to change anything if they don't have the experience to back it up. For example, besides Rami, what other regular everyday contributing member in here has any valid experience recording real drums? I can name a few, a small handful of people, and those guys don't go in the clinic much anyway. So if some random Joe tells me "I don't like your snare sound", then fine, he doesn't like it. I don't really care if I like it myself because most of my stuff is deliberate, thought out, and I don't get many happy accidents anymore. But if he can't tell me anything about making it better from his own experiences, then what's the point? He can say some shit like "cut here and boost there", but I'm already aware of what EQing does, and if I thought I needed it I would have done it already. So that kind of feedback is pointless. And on top of that, if I listen to his mixes and they sound like shit, then what the fuck? Ignored. That's not to say that his opinion isn't important in the grand scheme of things, but it isn't important to me. And then you've got songwriting pro wannabes trying to rearrange your shit. Oh man, they do need to STFU. Songwriting is one area that where I'll never listen to any of these mouth breathers. Unless Lemmy himself tells me I need to change something, then it stays exactly how I wrote it. A bunch of nobodies telling other nobodies how to improve their song is the dumbest thing ever.

But I do totally agree with whoever said to listen, comment, and read the comments from others on many mixes. You can learn a lot from trying to hear what others hear. You don't have to agree or disagree with anyone else, but at least trying to hear what they hear goes a long way towards improving one's own ears.

I've been avoiding leaving comments in general lately because I don't want to be a hypocrite. I'll always listen and comment on anything anyone asks me to check out. I get PMs all the time from people asking me to comment on their mix or guitar tone or whatever. I'm cool with that. I'm happy to do it for my many internet friends in here. But I'm not gonna go around leaving feedback if I'm no longer accepting any on my own stuff.

Bubba
- the first (and maybe the only) one who said he thought I was funny, which made me realize that at least someone out here has a sense of humor and didn't think all the crap I was posting was serious. Also gave great mixing advice and taught me what it is to be a Briton.

I missed this until I did a second read-through of the thread. Man, right from when I first heard one of your recordings I thought "here is a man who is closest to the spirit of punk out of anybody I know on this forum". I include myself and Gerg in this. It was just the energy, the inchoate striving to do something great and visceral without too much tinkering. Little did I know at first that the "inchoate striving" was more to do with battling the influence of twelve jars of ale than anything else.;)
Also, your own stuff was great and I preferred it to your covers. Your sense of humour comes over very strongly in them.

I missed this until I did a second read-through of the thread. Man, right from when I first heard one of your recordings I thought "here is a man who is closest to the spirit of punk out of anybody I know on this forum". I include myself and Gerg in this. It was just the energy, the inchoate striving to do something great and visceral without too much tinkering. Little did I know at first that the "inchoate striving" was more to do with battling the influence of twelve jars of ale than anything else.;)
Also, your own stuff was great and I preferred it to your covers. Your sense of humour comes over very strongly in them.

I agree. At first I thought he was just some dummy embracing the lame "punk is supposed to be bad" thing. I hate that. But as I got to know him I understood that most of his recordings were done at 3 am, all done at once, after a night of drinking with the fellas, so then I was like fuck yeah and then I got on board.

Greg, you might not want to post in the mp3 clinic anymore and I understand you reasoning but I'm sure your opinion will be missed on a lot of people's mixes if you stop commenting completely.

:thumbs up:

I agree. At first I thought he was just some dummy embracing the lame "punk is supposed to be bad" thing. I hate that. But as I got to know him I understood that most of his recordings were done at 3 am, all done at once, after a night of drinking with the fellas, so then I was like fuck yeah and then I got on board.

He's a rough diamond and a straight-up guy, as I believe the saying goes. And so are you.

Enough dick-sucking. It's time for this limey to go to bed. :D

He's a rough diamond and a straight-up guy, as I believe the saying goes. And so are you.

Enough dick-sucking. It's time for this limey to go to bed. :D

Errrr... I must have missed that part of the thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Back