What's going on in the Mp3 clinic?

jimistone

long standing member
Man, I go in there to listen to some tunes and get some inspiration and there is almost nobody I recognize posting music and reviewing.
All new posters in there now.

Is there a freakin' clinic boycott or sumthin?

It goes in cycles, I find. Greg hasn't posted anything new in a long long time. Neither have guys like Steen, Jimmy, etc...I've been busy editing and re-editing the video I made.

I'm sure it will all fall into place soon.

Last edited:
I'm still standing...yeah, yeah, yeah.

I know, I know, Elton and Billy. Bad Ken, BAD!

I'm glad to see you're still posting in the clinic my friend. I like the song you have up now. I'm working on some country stuff and hope to post something in the not too distant future. Man, country is WAY harder to get a decent recording on than blues or rock.
For me anyway.

I've been listening but not consistently. Traveling a lot these days and don't want to give critiques based on headphones. Or just sometimes, I get to a hotel and only feel like crashing.

And I really don't have any time to write new songs.

I'm not writing now either. I've come to the conclusion that if I wait until I write a song to record....I may get 3 songs recorded before I die, if I live to be 102.
:D
I'm working on some covers now and trying to learn more about how to record.
I liked your daughters Blondie cover by the way, it was cool.

Man, I go in there to listen to some tunes and get some inspiration and there is almost nobody I recognize posting music and reviewing.
All new posters in there now.

Is there a freakin' clinic boycott or sumthin?

It's a measure of the success/notoriety of this site. It attracts people we've never seen before. Consider: there's about 12 people who post tunes there regularly. 12 people can't keep that forum stocked with new material all the time.

My enthusiasm for the place comes and goes in waves. I listen to the regular's stuff and sometimes something else if they have 0 replies after two days or the title sounds interesting.

My problem with the clinic is that I hear stuff that sounds really good and it's really, really close to perfect, I look for SOMETHING. I've got to find that one nit.
Then I hear some awful drivel and I just can't find it in me to critique the thing the way it should be. I mean, WHERE DO I START?
I know my stuff is never perfect when I first post. That's why I've started leaving the first mixes up. But, I mean, some of this stuff comes in so badly recorded/mixed/eq'd/compressed/"mastered" that it's hardly listenable...Funny thing is, last year when I got this all hooked up and started posting stuff, I'm sure mine was ^^^ and there were three or four people that gently led me to where I am now (which ain't perfect yet, but I appreciate what they did). I just don't have the experience to do what they did for me (yet :)). So many good ears on this board, you could never give credit to all of 'em.

My problem with the clinic is that I hear stuff that sounds really good and it's really, really close to perfect, I look for SOMETHING. I've got to find that one nit.

You see, I don't get that. A few people are like that around here. There's nothing wong with it, I guess. You're looking for nits for the purpose of helping the person who posted the song. But to me, I can usually tell when someone's just looking for SOMETHING, ANYTHING negative to say (I don't mean you, you're not negative).

There are a couple of people in the Clinic who, when I see they posted on my or someone else's tune, I know they're going to "suggest" a change or criticize something, no matter how great the song and mix are. They simply WILL NOT post unless they have a nit at the very least. They might give a compliment, they might say it sounds good, but they HAVE to have at least one thing that they need to change. If they only have positive things to say about the tune, they will not post. A couple of these people are guys I like and get along with. But as soon as I see their name, I'm like "Oh, here we go. What don't they like about this?".

To each their own, but I don't get that mentality.

Then I hear some awful drivel and I just can't find it in me to critique the thing the way it should be. I mean, WHERE DO I START?
I know my stuff is never perfect when I first post. That's why I've started leaving the first mixes up. But, I mean, some of this stuff comes in so badly recorded/mixed/eq'd/compressed/"mastered" that it's hardly listenable...Funny thing is, last year when I got this all hooked up and started posting stuff, I'm sure mine was ^^^ and there were three or four people that gently led me to where I am now (which ain't perfect yet, but I appreciate what they did). I just don't have the experience to do what they did for me (yet :)). So many good ears on this board, you could never give credit to all of 'em.

Yeah, you hear something that's really good and feel like you have to find a nit to pick. I have tried to resist doing that. A lot of times now I just listen and if it's good and I enjoy it I state that I think it's good and I enjoy it. I comment on things I like about it instead of trying to find a flaw. There are plenty of people picking nits on most songs. Honestly, most songs posted are better recordings than I post and it's foolish for me to give engineering advice. About the only advice I give are generalities about the overall sound like...
It needs more low end or the vocal isn't loud enough or thee is too much reverb for my tastes.
Things like that.

I like nitpicks. They are a back-sided compliment. If there's nothing wrong with the song except for a tiny little EQ adjustment or a small translation problem, then that's a good thing. The song is posted in the clinic to get help and comments, so I'm going to nitpick (and say it's a nitpick) if that's all I got.

Nobody ever nitpicks my songs. They either get dissected or glossed over. :D

I'm okay with that. If I don't make changes in that song, I'll keep the advice for another project.

I like nitpicks. They are a back-sided compliment. If there's nothing wrong with the song except for a tiny little EQ adjustment or a small translation problem, then that's a good thing. The song is posted in the clinic to get help and comments, so I'm going to nitpick (and say it's a nitpick) if that's all I got.

Nobody ever nitpicks my songs. They either get dissected or glossed over. :D

I'm okay with that. If I don't make changes in that song, I'll keep the advice for another project.
Yeah, I guess it depends on who it comes from and in what spirit it was meant.

If someone like Greg rips apart a song, I read every word carefully because I know that he's not talking out of his ass and has great ears. That same "advice" can come from someone else and I'm barely even paying attention to what I'm reading because I've heard their recordings and I also know that they'll make something negative up if they can't hear something for real.

Last edited:
There's two ways to look at nits:

* It's a criticism. "You coulda done better."

* It's a suggestion for an alternate way to approach things. "Just thinking out loud here, but have you considered or tried this? Might work."

Nine times out of ten, when I listen to RAMI's stuff, it's the second kinda nit. I listened to a Broken_H tune this week, and my comments fell into that category as well, but some of his earlier stuff was more 50/50. Not That Bright still has timing issues with the drum parts, so the comments are half criticism, half 'have you thought of this?' I like his stuff and I like his spirit, so it's hard to deliver the criticism. But there are relative newcomers who post stuff and I'm looking for not rude ways to say 'the EQ sucks, the compression's way overcooked, and btw just re-track the whole thing cuz you played and sang it badly.' It's all critical nits, in other words. I forget his name, but there's a guy in the clinic who posts unusual, interesting, kinda creepy stuff which would benefit mainly by being re-done and re-done right.

Okay, but what about the relative strangers who post stuff that's radio ready? I don't think they're looking for mix help, mix ears, mix suggestions. I think they're looking for applause and hits. I don't see the point in responding to that stuff. I think the Clinic's about learning and checking on stuff, not for grandstanding.

I've been so busy at work I get very little time to listen lately (or write). But I don't mind people posting "finished" songs in the clinic. They can use the feedback on their next song.

Nice place. You should sit a spell, take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

If someone like Greg rips apart a song, I read every word carefully because I know that he's not talking out of his ass and has great ears.
This^ is exactly what I want, if I post a song & there are issues with it....I especially look up to a few people here just to give me confidence that my mix is ok, because they're so good at it...Granted, I don't post a lot of songs here, but I always try to do my best on 'em, but I also try & learn from the people who (I think) are much better than I am at this....

I'm less inclined to listen and respond if the name is new & there's been no attempt to "participate" by them previoulsy. Nit picking, I'm guilty of it sometimes but only if I actually hear it.
There are some folk from whom I take every syllable as gospel and others fall into the "I'll give it a go because maybe..." and then some who I pay little or no heed to.
I've tried to comment once every day but it's getting harder to get beyond my 1st point.
There a chap who post regularly, present excellent material but rarely comments on others let alone accept crits or accept suggestions.
I often wonder about that person.
RAMI is accurate - the clinic flows on cycles - seems this one is tied to the southern oscillation index, (el Nino).

Back