Website maintanence

TAE

All you have is now
So I had a site built earlier this year for my biz...though I really don't need it as I have a very small specific group of customers I sell to in the world..

I paid them @ $700 to bang one out..

I know that's cheap as am I..

Before I used this company I checked them out and all the companies that had used them spoke pretty highly of them..

One mentioned they had a monthly maintenance contract with them...

I thought hmmm? If I want to add pictures or text it might be nice to have them on hand at a moments notice to update so I asked them how much a month...$70 and for that I got 1 hour of updates...so 5 months go by ...I never used them once so I decided damn this isn't working out so well...better cancel that service contract...

Here's what he said....

The main benefit of the support service is the upgrades and updates that are important for a secure WordPress website. The support package you are cancelling was taking care of these periodic upgrades to the core WordPress code as well as making sure the site is backed up regularly and the plugins are updated to function properly with latest versions. The tasks portion of the support that you have not used is extra and usually is there for convenience and is not vital for the site's functionality, while everything else that we were doing was keeping the site up and running. We have launched the site with WordPress version 4.4.1 the latest version of WordPress is 4.5.2, during the last four months the site was upgraded 5 times, patching security issues with every upgrade (here is the link to the timeline of updates: https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Versions). Without the support service these upgrades will not be implemented and the site will be vulnerable to malicious attacks. It seems like you are under the impression that you were paying for us to do the tasks and since you didn't ask for anything there is no value in the service, while the value is in the tech support of the site and not content changes. I just wanted to make sure that you know all of this.

We will go ahead and process this cancellation request.

Hmmmm?

So I have had other websites up and running for years with no "updates" It's not like I'm NASA or do any online sales as such..

Is this really a necessary service? Is it worth $800 a year?

All the statement that were quoted makes sense. Wordpress is pretty powerful and has some great features, but these features are subject to vulnerabilities and there are patches, etc. just as with any software to lock these down as they become known. To add to that, the update service to that you have your Wordpress version updated in case you want new plugins that usually have versions associated with it. Everything that was stated seemed to be legitimate. But ...

If your site is pretty static, you don't keep customer information on there and there are no payment exchange involved, then you probably don't need it. If it is important to your business, you may want to think about it since these guys are making sure the software stays working and somewhat secure.

Thanks DM60! Yeah it is just a place to show some colors of the stone I sell...right now a whopping 12 colors..beyond basic and simple.
No customer info and no payment options or info.

I use Hostgator to host it ( Got that tip from EZ who used it for A&A ) Good service for cheap. I'll contact them about back up just in case...but $70 a month to do nothing but to security updates for a site I pay @ $12 a month to host...mmmm probably not.

Isn't wordpress for bloggers? Yeah, just keep it simple $5/mo on HostDaddy.

it can be a fully flegged website as well if you know what you are doing, so you get a website AND blog for $5 a month, which is why I love it so much.

Well I called Hostgator today to get the skinny on the security updates...

They had me upgrade to a business special they had going on. They will be doing a daily backup of the site, all wordpress security updates and by signing a 3 year deal I lowered my hosting down to $8 a month for 5 sites...I only have one right now but plan on having a few more. By stopping the maintenance service of $70 a month... what I just shelled out for the 3 years will be recouped in 6 months...leaving me 2 1/2 years of hosting at no cost and nothing to worry about...except learning how to use wordpress..It really isn't that difficult just have to invest a little time...cutting into my golf dang it!

Thanks for the good input brothers!

If you respond to this post, Bill Gates will wire you $10 million. He's standing right here. All he needs is your bank account info and it's a done deal.

Back