Walmart announces an increase in starting wage

one other state...New something

Jersey, New Jersey.

I don't care for filling stations with nobody there at all, just pumps. Deserted, pumps surrounded by chain link fencing, just doesn't seem right. Somehow get the feeling them Mad Max boys are gonna come rolling in at any second.

A few places (convenience stores) around town have the competitive price if using a card, and a separate discounted rate if paying cash. But their coffee is terrible, place is filthy and reeks of curry. No thanks.

I think it's probably been that way in most of the USA for the past 25 years too - just not Oregon (and one other state whose name escapes me - New Something.. Hampshire?).

We're only just now getting into card pay at the bowser stuff, but I was in France 5 years ago or more and they had totally automated service stations - no staff at all. Put card in, dispense fuel. No-one trying to flog you large size chocolate bars at the cash register. We have a way to go yet...
I was in Italy a few years ago. Same thing. Pulled up to a gas pump, no one there. Just the pump and an ATM looking thing. So I put a 50 Euro bill into the ATM and pump about 20 Euros worth of gas. Go back for my change, and the freeking thing doesn’t give change. :eek: BTW, at the time 50 Euros was like $70.

I prefer NJ where you can sit in your car in the snow or rain or cold and have someone put the gas in your car for you. :thumbs up:

How much is gas up in Jersey these days?

Some Kroger and Walmart stores now have gas. You build up points when you buy groceries and whatnot, points discount one time purchase on gas price of up to $1 a gallon, I think, then it resets. I don't get gas there much, save it for a large purchase for a trip. My last was discounted $0.50 off of $2.29 a gallon. It helps. I drive a 9-10 mpg Suburban, city, much better on the open road. I'm okay with that, I reckon.

Sad thing is that my first job was pumping gas, Friday afternoons and Saturday morning while still at school. There are whole generations that never get that first job now.

Alan.

How much is gas up in Jersey these days?

My car takes premium only. I think I paid about $2.79/gallon last fill up. If I had to guess, regular runs around $2.39. Used to be cheaper here until Christie raised the gas tax. Supposed to go for road maintenance, and I’m ok with that. But somehow I feel it’ll get lost in the shuffle in a year or two. :rolleyes:

Back