The Tylenol murders

TAE

All you have is now
The older members here probably remember when this went down...

Crazy shit... one loser ass hat changed the way the world packages products forever...damn safety seals!

My nephew recently found a Youtube video of a TV commercial that one of my older sisters did back in 1983 that was a damage control effort by Tylenol to get people comfortable with using the product again... It turned out to be a very successful ad campaign for Tylenol and Sis made some good coin off of it.

Here's a news clip ...For some reason, I though the dude got caught but it appears the case has never been solved....

It's amazing the way that the media influences peoples perceptions. While 5 people died from this incident, per the report, over 450 die each year from acute liver failure related to tylenol overdose. But, because someone did something evil, people are more worried. Logically, it doesn't make much sense, but that's Americans for ya. Don't take more than 4,000 mg of Acetaminophen per day, FYI.

It's amazing the way that the media influences peoples perceptions. While 5 people died from this incident, per the report, over 450 die each year from acute liver failure related to tylenol overdose. But, because someone did something evil, people are more worried. Logically, it doesn't make much sense, but that's Americans for ya. Don't take more than 4,000 mg of Acetaminophen per day, FYI.

And if you drink alcohol regularly, don't take Acetaminophen ever...

Beat me to it. People are not rational, and they (we all) suffer as a result.

That was about the end of over-the-counter, for me. I wasn't buying Tylenol, anyway. Baby aspirin, sure. Stomach aids : )

You can look to the FDA

Actually, now that I think about it, my hospital uses the latest FDA recommended guidelines of 3,000 mg per day max. Some resources still go by 4k though.

Pain sucks and so far in life I've been lucky enough not to be in it all that often...I rarely take any pain meds.

That said about 14 years ago I ended up with some bruised ribs......The wife worked for a drug marketing company called Whitehall Robbins at the time and had access to any over the counter pills you could want. She gave me orudis because she believed it worked best. I unknowingly had an stomach ulcer. I was popping the Orudis to help me through the days ...problem is there were warnings on the bottle not to take the stuff if you had stomach ulcers...
well...... I almost bled out....a quick ambulance ride, an endoscopy and 4 days in the hospital later...the bruised ribs were the least of my troubles...close one :rolleyes:

BTW a little bug called H Pylori is the cause of most stomach ulcers...it is rarely checked for unless you request it and a lot of people (like I did) carry it and it is a no bueno bug to be harboring .

BTW a little bug called H Pylori is the cause of most stomach ulcers...

Yup, the wife had that and it caused 3 ulcers in her stomach. She was taking omeprozole for years. If she quit taking it even for one day, the pain would come back. When all this cancer shit popped up last year, she reevaluated her diet and cut out red meats and dairy. Then one day she ran out of omeprozole, no pain. She went a couple of days without it, no pain. Went a week without it, no pain. She hasn't taken omeprozole since last July. Pretty cool Red meats and dairy. go figure.

Beat me to it. People are not rational, and they (we all) suffer as a result.

Just like the 'shoebomber' - now everyone has to take off their shoes going through security at airports.

Or in the beer line at the ballgame. Everyone - even my 84-year-old mother - has to show ID.

Reactions: TAE
And here I was wondering what this awesome pain relief drug is that you yanks have that's available in supermarkets that I've never heard of.

Meh. Paracetemol is what we call it. Now I'm disappointed.

'll take ibuprofen before paracetemol, but I don't like taking anything for a minute longer than I have to - and if I'm stricken by a cold and have to take paracetemol based cold and flu tablets, I never go over 3000mg a day, despite the pack saying 4000. And that would pretty much never be for more than 2 days, max.

Except for kid use...Tylenol is pretty much useless for pain.
It kinda helps with fever...but there's better stuff that kills both pain and fever.

People probably over use it because it so totally sucks as a pain reliever...and then they fuck up their liver.

So my doc had me taking a Tylenol and something esle...one of those combi deals...awhile back.
I think It was when I messed up my neck.
Anyway...he then goes and does some regular blood work...and he says to me, we need to do some more checking as to why my liver enzymes were out of whack.
I said..."Doc, maybe I should stop using the Tylenol shit first...and then lets see what the blood work says." :facepalm: :D

He's a good doc...he just forgot that he gave me the Tylenol pain pills a couple of months earlier.
He agreed..."Oh yes, that's probably it."...and I stopped using the Tylenol.

And here I was wondering what this awesome pain relief drug is that you yanks have that's available in supermarkets that I've never heard of.

Meh. Paracetemol is what we call it. Now I'm disappointed.

'll take ibuprofen before paracetemol, but I don't like taking anything for a minute longer than I have to - and if I'm stricken by a cold and have to take paracetemol based cold and flu tablets, I never go over 3000mg a day, despite the pack saying 4000. And that would pretty much never be for more than 2 days, max.

I had to look it up too--it's also paracetamol in the UK and in my Canadian days it was always aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). Maybe some form of Paracetamol existed but I'd never encountered it before I moved to the UK.

Now, because of other meds I'm on for my heart, paracetamol is all I'm allowed for pain (or stronger prescription things but I don't want to get hooked on those) so I mainly just put up with the pain.

Back