Top Ten Reasons Why the Music Industry is Failing

I hear you. Gotta agree with some of it but others...

I don't believe that mp3s sound bad because they're mp3s.
A lot of them happen to sound bad because of the way a lot of modern music is processed.

Ugh. Thanks for posting this Gecko, but articles like this are a dime a dozen.

The author makes a couple decent points, but for the most part it's finger-pointing crap. The music world has lost it's luster because people aren't that into it anymore. That's folks like you and me. Blaming it on artists and corporate execs is tired and lame, consumer cycles start with demand. The author says he misses record stores and the community experience of buying records. Those stores are still out there, and that experience. Artists still press vinyl, perhaps not the new breed of "disposable" artists he describes, but he doesn't sound like he's too into them anyways. And disposable pop artists aren't a cause for labels failing, they're an effect. They're what we want to hear...or see, I guess, since music has become a visual art-form. Also, we as music consumers are now entitled and used to getting it for free. Recorded works no longer hold any value. If it costs money, it must be some kind of scam since I can just download music all day at home. Why would a label take a risk on a developing artist in this atmosphere?

But all the things that guy misses are still out there. He's just not helping the situation by sitting at home, whining about how they're getting harder to find.

Last edited:
The one good thing about this type of article is, if I'm someone who doesn't buy music, doesn't get excited about new artists, and doesn't go out- this article will reaffirm my belief that I'm not missing anything and make me feel good about myself.

The reason for the music industry failing is rather simple. The Internet. Disposable pop stars, The Archies, Starland Vocal Band, hell they have been around since radio. But, the industry can no longer control and provide a single source for listening to music.

My kids had Internet before most household had it and someone to show them how to use it. Their music taste ran the gamut as they didn't listen to radio. They shared very little music tastes with anyone in their school except their closest friends. In the 50's through the early 2000's, radio was the single most important place to hear music. Now, not so much. The only people music industry types will and can support have to sell several millions of units just to make it worth it.

I like today better, go on Soundcloud, reverb nation, Pandora, ... and now there is a true democracy in music. Put your music out there and work it and see what happens. No more execs talking crap, no more having to listen to someone how to make you music more mediocre to please the masses, just people making music. I like it.

The only draw back is music is now a commodity and difficult to make money just on music. You have to write, damn near give it away and hope to make money playing and selling T-shirts. Old days are gone, music industry isn't dead, but its glory days are over. The industry needs a way to consolidate its delivery like radio did.

They finally (very late) have a way of selling music, but being able to sell it and to get people to buy it are not the same.

Who cares? I welcome to the total collapse of the "music industry". It affects me not one bit. I'll still just do what I do.

Having said that, I don't disagree with any of it, except for the MP3 part. But really, I don't give a shit. I haven't listened to or cared about "mainstream" music since about 1984.

I have a very hard time keeping up with who's who in the new music biz.
The only time I know a new name is if they do something spectacular or illegal ... then hear their name in the news.

And I thought I was just getting old. Guess one just has to have a plan of attack.

But I guess it's the same as it's always been. I have always said that it takes a good seven plus years to become an overnight success. Making that a very long night!

Miley Cyrus is currently blowing up the internet because of some performance last night. I know who she is, I know what she looks like, I have never heard one note of music from her. I like it that way.

Miley Cyrus is currently blowing up the internet because of some performance last night. I know who she is, I know what she looks like, I have never heard one note of music from her. I like it that way.

Aw man, you made me look. My eyes! My ears!

I need to go throw up now...

Aw man, you made me look. My eyes! My ears!

I need to go throw up now...

I just watched it. I liked it. Well, I watched it with the sound completely off. The visuals were good!

One thing I've noticed about most of this disposable pop stuff - Why does literally every pop song have to have some rapper break? Lol. I need to start doing that. That's what I've been missing. That's what's keeping me out of the teenage white girl demographic. I need rap breaks in my dumb Greg-punk.

up-1fat.jpg

The kin folk said *Jed move away from there*
Said California the place you ought to be.
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly ... Hills that is ... swimming pools, movie stars.

I know, but that truly is his 5 million dollar punk rock mansion. Or was, I guess.

I give him a lot of credit. He's made quite a bit of money with absolutely no support from any traditional mainstream sources. You won't ever hear NOFX on the radio, you didn't see them on MTV even back when that dumb channel played music, and they've never changed their sound or stopped making music. They're just a good band, and he's a smart enough business man to start a label and have it thrive.

Back