Tonight, I am going to see "Cats" with my man friend... :)

Armistice

Son of Yoda
So somewhere back before my last birthday, the conversation turned to musical theatre, and I said "I hate all musical theatre - except Cats... I didn't mind that."

Result: A pair of tickets to Cats, now undergoing a renaissance in Sydney, as a birthday present from my girlfriend (amongst other things). The show's on tonight.

Alas, my girlfriend is suffering from a particularly bad dose of something horrible and is unable to get out of bed, let alone go to the theatre, and at this late notice the only person I could get as reserve "plus one" was my cousin, who's a bloke.

So we two are off to see Cats tonight, like the middle aged gay couple we're not. :laughings:

He reckons I have to buy him dinner as well, he's not that cheap. :)

My wife tried to get me to go see it for years but it's not my cup of tea at all. (I saw a bit of it on VHS years ago.) To satisfy her need for a musical, I convinced her in the end to go see Matilda instead. That I could handle.

:thumbs up:

My own personal hell would be listening to show tunes and the Grateful dead. I've heard about 5 seconds of music from cats and it was pretty bad.

At the risk of being ostracised, I really enjoy musical theatre...and, even more, enjoy doing the live mixes.

Never managed to do Cats though...

So we two are off to see Cats tonight, like the middle aged gay couple we're not. :laughings:

He reckons I have to buy him dinner as well, he's not that cheap. :)

This is the 21st century. The word 'gay' never even crossed my mind in reading this thread. Hope you two had fun!

I have to say, of a few musicals that I have seen, I am impressed by the talent and skill to do these types of shows. Even for those whop don't like musicals, you have to give a nod to the high level of required to do them.

Have fun.

At the risk of being ostracised, I really enjoy musical theatre...and, even more, enjoy doing the live mixes.

Never managed to do Cats though...

What's not to like? Ain't what they call rock and roll, I guess. Cats is not a particular favorite of mine though.

Is she lip-syncing to a recorded track...or is that just YouTube losing audio sync...?
Sure looks like it's a pre-recorded vocal track.

It's quite badly out of sync for me as well--but, having seen the show a couple of times, I can guarantee it's performed and mixed live when you see it in the theatre.

Yeah man, go see a theater production. You may just enjoy it. :)

Yeah, the video was out of sync...

I just had a thought. I wonder how Greg would fare at a musical? :D

Greg at a musical?

How about Greg IN a musical? Slap a mask on him and make him the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera?

Alas, my girlfriend is suffering from a particularly bad dose of something horrible and is unable to get out of bed, let alone go to the theatre, and at this late notice the only person I could get as reserve "plus one" was my cousin, who's a bloke.

Wow, and I'll bet your girlfriend totally seriously did not plan this. For reals.

Wow, and I'll bet your girlfriend totally seriously did not plan this. For reals.

She spent about $400 on the ticket package, and although I've seen Cats before, she hasn't. Plus when I arrived at her place tonight to play nursey I was hounded with questions, so she's pretty disappointed not to have gone.

It's not exactly my cup of tea, but no point at all going and not leaving my cynical side at home. It was fun, whimsical, laboured in places and the soundtrack veered between cheese, a Keith Emerson solo show circa 1979, and really good (contextually) musical theatre numbers.

And Memory, sung by Australia's darling Delta Goodrem, is a great pop tune of the Bacharach style. Despite the ridiculousness of 20 grown men and women dressed up as cats, it was hair on the back of the neck stuff. ALW gives good melody - makes most pop songs of today seem simple and dull.

And the sound was excellent. The woman on the desk knew what she was doing.

:D

...and, if this production was like the London one I saw, the actors had really done a good job of mimicking feline mannerisms. Add a bit of "willing suspension of disbelief" and it actually works. Well, it worked better than roller skating trains in Starlight Express which I enjoyed but never got so into.

When I took my daughter (she was 12 then, 29 now) we were in the first row. The show started with a blackout and, when the lights came up, there was a "cat" sitting on the stage edge staring her straight in the face, unblinking, just like a real cat. She jumped about a foot!

And, yes. Both times I've seen it, the sound has been excellent.

Back