Tom Petty’s cease-and-desist letter

You would think someone who wants to be President would know how to LISTEN... oh, wait, I forgot- she's a REPUBLICAN- they don't have to listen, because they can see Russia from their back porches...

Heart did the same thing to someone about 10 years ago or so too. Republicans tend to have a hard time getting rights to use popular music for their campaigns.

I can see cease-and-desist letters from a royalty/compensation perspective, but these guys protesting the use of their songs based off political principles are pompous douchebags. Tom Petty, Springsteen, and Heart? Please. Just be glad someone remembers you.

Some could say Tom was being petty ! Or 'Petty by name, petty by nature'.
But I wouldn't.
I don't care either way.

I can see cease-and-desist letters from a royalty/compensation perspective, but these guys protesting the use of their songs based off political principles are pompous douchebags. Tom Petty, Springsteen, and Heart? Please. Just be glad someone remembers you.
In springsteen's defense, at the time it happened, Born in the USA was a recent hit. You couldn't get away from it.

I don't know why I felt compelled to defend 'the boss', the only songs of his I ever liked were the ones that Manfred Mann covered.

You would think someone who wants to be President would know how to LISTEN... oh, wait, I forgot- she's a REPUBLICAN- they don't have to listen, because they can see Russia from their back porches...
Can you recall ever a right winged Repulican rock star issuing a cease and desist order to a Presidential candidate?

If you can, who was it?

Perhaps, it is you, who only hear what is what you want to hear rather than actually listen.

Can you recall ever a right winged Repulican rock star issuing a cease and desist order to a Presidential candidate?

If you can, who was it?

Perhaps, it is you, who only hear what is what you want to hear rather than actually listen.

I can't actually recall any right-winger rockstars...

I can't actually recall any right-winger rockstars...
You have a valid point!

Why is it that all revered rockstars are extremist Democratic left winged radicals such a Springsteen and Bon Jovi are?

You have a valid point!

Why is it that all revered rockstars are extremist Democratic left winged radicals such a Springsteen and Bon Jovi are?

Haha well I wouldn't say "all" but the ones that aren't left-wing radicals always keep quiet about what they think.

Strange situation lol.

So if a candidate is paying an ASCAP or BMI fee can't they use any songs they want to during their campaign?

There are several right wing rock stars, they just aren't necessarily activists. They also realize that by being an activist they could alienate fans.

Gene Simmons, I believe, is right wing as well as Ted. Ted is just really vocal about it. There are a bunch more that I know personally, but it's not up to me to out them.

In springsteen's defense, at the time it happened, Born in the USA was a recent hit. You couldn't get away from it.

Ain't that the truth!!! :D

I grew up in NJ and was living there at the time...and I couldn't stand hearing Springsteen anymore!
I liked/like some of his stuff, especially the real early stuff...but Springsteen saturated the airwaves in NJ for a few years.

When Lennon got shot...I saw graffiti in NJ that said "God, please take Springsteen and gives us back Lennon"...
...that's how sick of Springsteen some people got.

Anyway...I think all musicians and movie stars should have to sign agreements NOT to be politically active once they become mega stars.
If you started out as a political activist through your music and art...fine....but using your music/screen image AFTER you become big to impose your political views on your fans....that's BS.
I don't want to have to like/dislike a musician or movie star because of their personal views....though back in the '60s, many were politically active from the start, and there's some who I don't agree with but still like their artistic side.

So if a candidate is paying an ASCAP or BMI fee can't they use any songs they want to during their campaign?
100 points to one of the few people in America who - judging by press accounts - actually understands how music is licensed.

Is there someone who really thinks that every time you want to play a piece of music over a loudspeaker, you call up the recording artist and the songwriter and ask for their permission? Wouldn't that result in people like Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, Kool and the Gang (not to mention whoever controls the Hill sisters' estates) doing nothing other than taking requests from Wal-Marts, elevator operators and wedding planners 24 hours a day?

Anyway...I think all musicians and movie stars should have to sign agreements NOT to be politically active once they become mega stars.
If you started out as a political activist through your music and art...fine....but using your music/screen image AFTER you become big to impose your political views on your fans....that's BS.
I don't want to have to like/dislike a musician or movie star because of their personal views....though back in the '60s, many were politically active from the start, and there's some who I don't agree with but still like their artistic side.
I disagree with that wholeheartedly. For some people, following the progression of various artists through the years is fascinating as you see how they change, grow up, regress etc. And as for imposition of views on the buyers of records/fans, that's a major part of the relationship between those that write the songs and those that listen to them. So every time you hear someone's song, indirectly you are imbibing the views of somebody. A woman in the throes of divorce may not take kindly to hearing, say, one of Lennon's Yoko songs. Then don't listen to them. You may be a fan but you don't have to listen to every pronouncement of your idol or whatever. The actual views of so many people whose music I like are at a variance to me. I'm not opposed to David Crosby. I am however, to "Triad" ! It kind of goes with the territory.
Another right wing rock star ~ Mick Jagger.

I'm on Petty's side. I wouldn't want Nazi girl using my tunes. She should use Sweaty Teddy's tunes like "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang".

I think she should look into using Ozzy's Crazy Train for her campaign.

I don't care for Petty's music, and I have no idea of the legalities of this (nor do I care), but I applaud any musician who tries to keep there music from being used to promote political agendas that conflict with their own. In the case of this particular candidate, I would expect she'd have a hard time finding anyone who'd be happy to have her use their song.

Back